Re-Installing Windows questions..

BaboonBoy22 21:51 07 Mar 07

I want to wipe my system and re-install windows. My machine is about 2 years old now and I feel it just isn't running as smoothly as it could be, what with installing and un-installing programs all the time.
I have a 400Gb sata drive which I will not be formatting. Can I just disconnect it before I clean the system?
I also have a partition on my main HDD which was done using Partition Magic, as this is software based will this partition be lost when I do the re-install or format?
And finally are there any other complications that I'm over-looking?
Thanking you in advance.
BB22

Strawballs 22:15 07 Mar 07

If you set your system to boot from CD first then put in your XP CD and reboot then just follow the instructions, when it comes to formatting it will show all of the drives (the 2 partitions on one disc will show as 2 drives)and ask which one you want to formatt and install windows on, you will not have to unplug any drives or overwrite any that you do not choose.

Stuartli 22:53 07 Mar 07

Perhaps it would be better to undertake an XP Repair first to see if that improves your system - you shouldn't lose any programs, applications, configuration etc by doing so.

See:

click here

for details.

BaboonBoy22 16:46 12 Mar 07

I undertook the XP Repair last night.. and it all went a bit wrong.
Had the blue screen telling me that it had to shutdown. Decided to attempt the repair again, and I didn't get the blue screen, but it is having problems with finding files from the i386 folder. When I do a browse I can see the file there but for some reason it isn't accepting it. I thought that maybe I could copy the i386 folder onto CD from another computer, so if it has a problem finding the files again I can use the ones that I've put onto disk.
Will that work?
Thanks BB22

BaboonBoy22 18:19 12 Mar 07

or can anyone else think of something that I could try? (I really thought that this procedure was going to be a walk in the park.. lol)

Stuartli 18:28 12 Mar 07

You are ensuring that you choose the R for Repair and not Recovery Console?

You have to (IIRC) use the Install choice twice before selecting to Repair.

The files required are on the XP installation disk (i386).

I've done it twice in the last 18 months or so (XP doesn't always take to a new mobo) and it's gone very smoothly for me.

You may also have to reinstall SP2 if you don't have a streamlined disk version and also use the latest AutoPatcher version to install all the MS updates again:

click here

BaboonBoy22 18:50 12 Mar 07

The files that are required are on the disk, but its not reading/finding the files properly. Will having these files on a separate disk solve this?

BaboonBoy22 10:01 13 Mar 07

Well I got further with it last night, as in it got to an xp pro screen but it had crashed. After doing a manual restart it loaded windows. BUT I had a HDD missing, and a 3 other drives that were set up (from the card reader) and took an age to load up, even after a couple of boots. That just wasn't good enough especially not being able to view my drives.
So I tried the repair again.. this time I made a copy of the install disk to see if it would help the reading problem.
But I kept on getting the blue screen, saying the system had to shutdown, and at the bottom of the screen it said it was dumping the virtual memory. (Why would it be doing that?)
I just don't get why I'm having all these problems.
Any help would be SO appreciated.

BaboonBoy22 13:15 13 Mar 07

^
(Apologies for the bump, but I'm at a bit of a lose without my PC)

keef66 13:27 13 Mar 07

I once had a real problem doing a clean install of XP home, with blue screens and meaningless (to me) error messages. Googling them suggested the ram might be at fault and that's why it wasn't copying the files properly.

I discovered this by downloading and using Memtest86; both modules produced a string of errors within seconds of starting the test.

Quick trip to Crucial, new memory arrived in 24 hrs, (tried Memtest86 on it just to be sure; no errors at all)
Next Windows install went flawlessly.

BaboonBoy22 13:40 13 Mar 07

I never had a problem with memory before. I monitor the RAM usage and it never uses anywhere near its capacity. The comment that I made about it dumping the virtual memory only happened the once. The other blue screens that I get just quote an error message: 0x000000E7 or something like that.
Could all these problems just be down to there being a problem with the disk? and also (apart from formatting drives) what is the difference between doing a repair and a clean install. ie if i just opt to doing a clean, will I incur the same problems?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…