RE - INSTALLING WINDOWS 98 ??

SRJ 08:11 21 Jul 03

I have some friends who have been given a Daewoo PC. Basically the person just wants to be able to go on the net and type a few letters. Originally the PC would have been installed with Windows 98. They have taken it to someone who wants more money to "fix it" than that the computer is worth.

The previous owner has reformatted the Hard drive and installed Windows ME.

The graphics don't work correctly, the modem doesn't work at all (presumably needs ME compatible driver files), and the computer seems to be "working hard".

I suspect the system doesn't have enough resources to run ME properly. (32Mb RAM)

I would like to reformat the hard drive and reload Windows 98 (I have the original '98 CD). Would this automatically resolve the graphics/modem driver issues?

Secondly while I know how to format the hard drive I have only ever loaded the same operating system.

There is no copy of the ME Operating system. How do I go about re-installing Windows '98?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Steve

Lozzy 08:44 21 Jul 03

With Windows ME to get back to the dos prompt you need to have the ME CD and boot from the CD. Now Not having the CD you could try re booting the PC and whilst it is booting keep pressing the F8 key. Now when you get the Dos looking screen there is an option there to go to the C prompt. Then Re format.

Make sure in the BIOS is set to First Boot Sequence CD Rom, Second Floppy and Third HDD. Insert the Win 98SE CD and re boot and the setup will (should) start automatically. There after just follow the on screen instructions.

Re the modem and graphics card issues you mention, they are just requiring the correct drivers. By re installing win 98 will not solve these issues. You will need to know modem name and model and as well as Graphic card I.e it will be either an Nvidia or Radeon go to either web site and download the latest drivers and that will cure your graphic card issue.

click here for Nvidia drivers

click here for ATI Radeon.

MichelleC 10:06 21 Jul 03

98 may just about run on 32ram - it likes at least 64 to run properly.

Belatucadrus 10:56 21 Jul 03

click here for a pdf article on reformating and reloading 9X systems

click here sound card drivers

click here video drivers

SRJ 11:28 21 Jul 03

I am hopefully going to look at their machine this evening when I get home from work.

Thanks very much for the speedy responses

I notice Michelle has written about Win 98 preferably needing 64Mg RAM. I am just trying to help this old couple out, I don't want to spend any money on upgrades etc.

Lozzie you mention about Windows 98SE. There is nothing on the cover to say that it is SE. I have a copy of my own would this make any differnce?

I have also since found in a bag of "bits" what appears to be an original System CD from "Daewoo" which pretty much describes what you have suggested.

There is a drivers CD from Zoltrix which I'm presuming is the modem. Just looking at the contents of the CD there appears to be drivers for about four or five modems. How do I know which one is correct or will Windows 98 automatically detect which is the correct one?

As you can tell I don't do this sort of stuff too often so thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…