re-installing windows

yorkieval 09:10 14 Feb 03

I want to re-install windows 98se. I have the recovery disk ready and have backed up all important files. The instructions tell me to insert the recovery disk, along with the CD # 1. I have done this, nothing is happening.The computer is just running along as normal. when I have done this in the past, it immediately works. But not this time. Do I turn off the computer frst and then insert the floppy (recovery disk) and then boot from it. Val

Gongoozler 09:16 14 Feb 03

yorkieval, you have to switch off your computer and then switch it on again with the boot floppy in. Your computer should then see the floppy in the drive and boot from that. If it doesn't then you will need to go into the BIOS and set the floppy drive to be the first boot device. If you need any clarification on that, then come back and let me know.

Switcher 09:21 14 Feb 03

Start PC with the start up floppy inserted

Select the option to start with cd rom support

Insert CD

Enter command Setup

yorkieval 09:21 14 Feb 03

Hi Gong,
I have just done as you said and the computer just boots up as it normally would, like it's ignoring the floppy. can you help?....Val

Gongoozler 09:31 14 Feb 03

Hi Val. It's the BIOS thing then. When you switch on your computer you will get a message like "Press Del to enter setup". This varies according to the BIOS, but that is the most common one. Hold down the appropriate key, and the BIOS setup menu will open. Again, different versions of BIOS will vary, but in my Award BIOS I would then have to navigate to "Advanced BIOS Features". There is then an option to chage the boot device sequence. The way this is presented varies, but whatever variant you have, select Floppy or A to be the first device. Select "Save" (In my BIOS this is F10) and then Exit (in my Bios this is the Esc key). You may then again be asked to select "Save and Exit". The computer will then continue with the boot sequence.

Switcher 09:32 14 Feb 03

Go in to Bios - Usually by hitting del key as PC starts to boot.

Alter boot order so that floppy is first choice - exit and save.

PC should now boot to floppy.

yorkieval 10:03 14 Feb 03

Oh. Dear!!!! I think I done something wrong. I have done what you have said, well I think I have. But when I booted up, everything seemed to be going ok then I got "this computer does not have any information" this was set on a black screen.. HELPPPPPP !!!!......vAL

polmar 10:12 14 Feb 03

Sounds about right. Oh Dear ! Sounds like you have broken it.

Gongoozler 10:14 14 Feb 03

Hi Val. Is this a Windows98 boot floppy or something that was suplied with the computer? Is your Windows 98se cd a full version or a recovery one that is tied to your specific computer?

yorkieval 11:30 14 Feb 03

Hi Gong, It was supplied with the computer, along with 3 CDs that I have to insert in order, as and when the computer tells me to. I have to put in the floppy first, then I am told to put in the 1st. CD. and so on. The computer is a packard bell bought at PC world. what I dont understand is that I have re-installed windows on this computer 3 times since I bought it with no problems until now.....Val

woodchip 11:38 14 Feb 03

Start your computer with the number 1 CD disc in the comp

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…