Re-installing Win98Se and windows updates

drkate 21:45 20 Jan 05

I recently re-installed (refreshed) Windows 98 over itself, retaining all data and programmes. Do I have to download all updates again? I have visited the update website and am not sure whether it scans the actual system or just the history of downloads - as it adds a disclaimer after the list saying it may not be accurate if programmes have been uninstalled. It says there are no critical updates to download. I'm not sure how to recognise the files for updates, but the windows update set-up folder has files dated 2002 and 2003 (I had the computer in August 2002 so some have been retained obviously) Would be grateful for any advice here. Thanks in anticipation.

hugh-265156 01:59 21 Jan 05

if it states there are no critical updates then you are fine i guess, its up to you if you want any extra updates.

try going to windows update click here and then clicking 'administrator options' click ' windows update catalogue/find updates for operating systems' select win 98/se and tick the type of updates updates you want then click 'search'

when i checked there were 72 critical updates for win98 and 17 recommended updates.

hugh-265156 02:04 21 Jan 05

ps. if click here says your up to date then your ok. the above is handy if you wish to back up to cd or dvd if you ever need to re install.

octal 07:02 21 Jan 05

UNOFFICIAL Windows98 Second Edition Service Pack 1.6.2 (Freeware)

click here

drkate 22:12 21 Jan 05

Thanks huggyg71 and octal. Both of you very helpful and really great to get such a prompt response. So my system is up to date - my worry resolved. But good to know how to get the updates if/when a complete reinstall from scratch is needed. But think I'll wait till we get broadband (if ever) before attempting to download the lot to cd. Good to know about the exuberant site, octal, - could get that and at least have something to use without risking security by going online with an un-updated system! Details duly noted.

octal 22:19 21 Jan 05

You're welcome, if you want a copy burnt, just email me via the little yellow envelope with your address and I'll post you a copy.

GaT7 22:30 21 Jan 05

Before & after you apply the updates you can check which have been installed correctly (or not) by using a useful little utility called Belarc Advisor click here. It'll give you a lot of useful info about your PC's software/hardware as well. [Another similar program you can try is Everest (larger download) click here]. G

drkate 22:33 23 Jan 05

Crossbow7
Thanks -that IS a useful utility - what secrets it revealed about my laptop. But it did confirm my suspicions that many recent critical updates are missing, despite Windows Update saying none are needed. Should sort it all out now. Thanks everyone.

geoff47 23:08 23 Jan 05

I have always installed updates for win98....have reinstalled win98 as drkate did and Belarc now says some updates need to be reinstalled also.

Can I use the download from Exuberant safely?
Or are the updates on my PC...and again how would I recognise the ones I want?

Thanks....didnt mean to butt in......seems like the same topic...and just tagged along.
Geoff47

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…