Re-installing Win 98 SE without the Key

Steam Engineer 22:24 26 Sep 05

When my latest XP Pro SP2 wonder machine went down recently I had to restore to service my old Win 98SE computer. during it's life it had been upgraded to Win XP home and although only equipped with dial up kept me in touch while I resolved the problems with the other machine. Unfortunately this machine required the OS to be re-installed after a problem and although I have the original Win 98SE disk and the XP upgrade disk I cannot find the product key for the 98SE copy and I am told that as the XP is an upgrade I must install 98SE first. Is there any way to find the product key for the 98SE disk, I tried the MS site but they apparently no longer support 98, any advice would be appreciated. Mike H.

VoG II 22:27 26 Sep 05

If you try to load the XP upgrade disk on a formatted drive you will be asked to insert your W98 disk as proof of eligibility to upgrade. I don't think that you will need the key for W98, only WXP.

woodchip 22:28 26 Sep 05

If you already have Win98 loaded you can find the Key with Belarc. click here

DieSse 22:35 26 Sep 05

VoG™ is absolutely correct - you start the XP installation process, and at some stage you will be asked to put in your 98SE CD for verification - it will not need the key.

You do NOT need to actually install 98SE.

Steam Engineer 18:32 27 Sep 05

Thanks for your responses, much appreciated, I tried the suggested fix and sure enough the 98SE disk was requested and the XP installation commenced, however during the install many of the files could or would not copy so at the end of the installation I got the windows is shutting down to prevent damage screen, any ideas?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:34 27 Sep 05

A good clean of the CD required if not copying files propery.

Can you borrow another XP CD (but put in your OWN KEY)to retry?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…