Re-Installing Operating Systems for the Unknown.

spuds 11:04 21 Sep 04

I am involved with a small band of new user older generation silver surfers.A question that keeps cropping up, is the re-installation of the various operating systems, mainly ME and XP Home with a little 98se.

They want to know [in printed form]what will or could happen if they inserted their operating disk in their computer.Would this re-install, reformat or destroy their system. This question came to light recently, due to the fact that a couple of people are having boot-up, crash or similar problems and they want to try some of the technical stuff themselves. Using the advantage of this forum may ease their concern a little.

A warning as to what can go wrong or perhaps best be avoided, would be appreciated.

JonnyTub 11:20 21 Sep 04

the worst that can happen is they may lose their data if they accidentally format the drive with disk, you should tell them to back up all important data before considering putting the disk in the drive, even if it's for something relatively simple, back-up, back-up and back-up again!!

Simon_P 11:43 21 Sep 04

If you run setup from within windows, it will install windows replacing the existing installation, leaving all other programs and data intact. (As long as the drive in not formatted)

It works just like an upgrade.

This providing that you install the new installation in the directory that already has windows in it.

All major steps require user input, simply incerting the CD wont actually make any changes.

i.e
C:\Windows (default)

Caution

Don’t do this if you have important information, BACK IT UP FIRST just incase

rawprawn 11:48 21 Sep 04

click here You may find this helpful, if you click on any of the questions you want answered you can then print out exact instructions.

Simon_P 11:53 21 Sep 04

click here

Use the menu on the left to select you version of Windows

Then on the relevant page select the install guide

TomJerry 12:07 21 Sep 04

If the disc is the restore disc (or installation disc generated from restore disc), the process will start automatically reformat HDD without ask any question once boot up from CD.

If it is original retail version of XP CD (either upgrade or full), you have options to select what you want to do.

spuds 22:28 21 Sep 04

Great support, the information as been passed on.

I will leave the post open a little longer.Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…