Re-Installing DirectX

GeoffChorley 20:54 08 Apr 06

I am having problems with computer crashes when handling images so I have just run dxdiag and got the following message:

"Several files (d3d8d.dll, d3dx8d.dll, dswaved.dll, etc.) are old versions, which could cause problems.
Several files (d3dx8d.dll, dimap.dll, diactfrm.dll) are debug versions, which will run slower than the retail version.
You should reinstall DirectX to get the latest version."

I went onto Windows Update and loaded (or at least I think I did) the latest version of DirectX. However, when I re-ran dxdiag I got the same message again.

I then went into Control Panel, Add/Remove programmes and removed DirectX Version 8 point something. Then I re-ran dxdiag and STILL got the same message. I then re-installed DirectX from website and still got same message. I now cannot find DirectX on my list of programmes in Control Panel but still get same message.

What am I doing wrong? How can I re-install DirectX as suggested by dxdiag?

rdave13 20:59 08 Apr 06

Try installing from here click here

GeoffChorley 21:57 08 Apr 06

Thanks. I've already tried this link. I just ran it again now and it said there was already a newer version present so re-intallation was not required. However, I still get the sam eold message in dxdiag.

GeoffChorley 21:58 08 Apr 06

Thanks. I've already tried this link. I just ran it again now and it said there was already a newer version present so re-intallation was not required. However, I still get the same old message in dxdiag.

rdave13 22:18 08 Apr 06

Try system restore to a date just before the problem.

remind 23:00 08 Apr 06

Assuming Windows XP;
Download the latest dx9.0c (april 06) here click here
Download RegscrubXP click here
Make a note of error messages mentioning dx8 files and their exact filenames.
Start menu/run/cmd, at the prompt type `regsvr32 /u *dllname*` ie
regsvr32 /u d3d8d.dll
Do this for all the files/dll files.
Clean your registry with RegScrubXP
Reboot
Run the downloaded DX9 file.

GeoffChorley 20:47 09 Apr 06

Thanks - I'll try this out over the next couple of days and let you know how it works.

GeoffChorley 20:38 11 Apr 06

I have just tried suggestion from remind. When I tried to run regsvr command I got the message
"dxd8d.dll was loaded but the DllUnregisterServer entry point was not found. This file can not be registered". Any clues as to what to do next?? Thanks.

remind 20:50 11 Apr 06

either its not registered anyway (which means it can be removed as it's not part of DirectX9) or it doesn't support the command, just use the same command with all the others, ignore any error messages

remind 21:12 11 Apr 06

to be on the safe side, don't actually delete anything

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac