Re-installing on a Compaq

Quilljar 09:02 16 Jun 05

I am trying to re-install windows 98 for a friend on an old (6yrs) Compaq machine. It will not respond to either its own Quick restore discs or another Win 98 disc. I have formatted the HD but it keeps giving messages to the effect that it is unable to install Windows. Is there something special about Compaq computers or have I got a corrupted disc? One thing ssurrprises me it is a very small HD, only 1.8Gb!
Would the exiisting motherboard be likely to work with another HD?

dan11 10:55 16 Jun 05

1.8 gig is very small, even for a machine 6 years old.

Because you have formatted the drive, you will be unable to run some diagnostic software, to give the motherboard make and model.

Two things would be worth doing.

1) to take the hard drive out and list the serial number of it.

2) From a win98 startup floppy disk, enter fdisk. Make sure the "y" is selected for enabling large disk support. The pick option 4. This will give details of the disk and any partitions or unused space. It may be that some one has fdisked the drive and not enabled large disk support. This would limit the disk to just under 2.0 gig ( around 1.8gig, does it ring bells? )lol

ps. Do you know the model number of the compaq

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…