Re- installing a backup

tonyx1302 12:13 03 Aug 05

I have recently done my first back to an external HD and all went okay. I now find that I have deleted a very important letter that I had saved in current workings in 'my docs'.I am now praying that it is on my backup. I have tried a restore but it doesn't go back before I deleted the letter in error.
Can I re-install just part of the backup I have made, as I don't need to do a complete re-install as the letter will be in the 'my docs' section I hope.
How do I go about re- installing please and can I just re- install my docs.
I have also made a floppy with Windows Auto Rec. System as instructed when backing up.

Hopefully someone out there can say me from having a nervous breakdown.
Any suggests would be VERY gratefully received I promise you

Diodorus Siculus 12:24 03 Aug 05

What program did you use to backup?

Diodorus Siculus 12:26 03 Aug 05

IF XP backup:

Back Up and Recover Your Information
click here

tonyx1302 13:00 03 Aug 05

Thanks for your speedy response. Unfortunatly I am a little gonfused now as I don't know why I need to go to MS Backup & rec. as per your post.I used a newly brought external data system and backed up everything on my pc. After b/up it told me to insert a floppy to give me a Windows Auto System Rec disk which I did.
As far as I am now aware I have everything copied onto my backup but don't know how to transfer the info back onto my pc as this is a whole new area to me. I really want to do is re-install My Docs from the backup I have taken if thats poss without having to r/install everything that I, have copied

Hoping I have confused the issue and that I have explained myself okay

tonyx1302 13:03 03 Aug 05

Not 'gonfused' and hoping I 'haven't'confused.
Must slow down typing when sending an answer and check what I have written

DieSse 13:32 03 Aug 05

"backed up everything on my pc"

How you recover something depends on how you backed it up - so what program did you use to back it up, please.

tonyx1302 13:36 03 Aug 05

I am on XP and i just connected up my ext Hd which brought up a wizard screen and then did as instructed.

Is this right?

Diodorus Siculus 13:39 03 Aug 05

That is why I asked what you used to back up the system :-)

IF you simply copied over the data, it should be easy to use windows explorer to find it.

tonyx1302 13:43 03 Aug 05

Thanks Diodorus Siculus. Sorry I miss understood your earlier post.

DieSse 14:52 03 Aug 05

"I am on XP and i just connected up my ext Hd which brought up a wizard screen"

This wouldn't normally happen when you connect up a simple external hard drive - so what did you connect up - is it a special device - can you please give the details of exactly what it is.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…