re-installing backed up "oe" files from backup cd

GYPSY 23:16 28 Apr 03

I cannot seem to open oe files i have backed up to cd from C:\WINDOWS\ApplicationData\Identities, using nero, When the cd is opened it displays all the files copied (emails i would like to reinstall from a recent backup) but i am unable to open them as i am only given the choice of "notepad"or "wordpad" which is not the correct programme.
I am pretty sure this was my error and the files are now associated with these programmes. Changing file associations has always been a mystery to me.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as my wife wants to know where her **** emails have gone!

woodchip 23:33 28 Apr 03

If you are Win98 or I think WinME you can drag and drop the Inbox files on your cd. Into the Mail folder that you got them in C:\Windows\Application Data\Identities open until you get to your OE mailbox that was created. You can then open them in OE, or Do an import from OE point it to the stored E-Mail

DieSse 23:41 28 Apr 03

You can't open email files/folders, except with Outlook Express - and even then not by simply making an association.

First you need to copy the whole folder that all the email files are in, back onto your Hard Drive - I suggest you make a new folder called oldmails or similar, and put them into there.

Then make sure the files are not marked Read-Only - change them if they are.

Then start OE and go File - Import - and follow the wizard. Choose the option "import from a store folder" and browse to the new folder you have stored them in. They should then import OK - you will have a choice of which folder(s) to import - Inbox - Deleted - Sent - etc.

GYPSY 19:41 29 Apr 03

woodchip, DieSse, Copied to my hard drive cancelled read only then dragged and dropped into
C:\Windows\Application Data\Identities. All is now restored , MANY THANKS
ps could't find the option of "import from a store folder" though. (and sorry i should have mentioned my os was W98)

GYPSY 19:41 29 Apr 03

woodchip, DieSse, Copied to my hard drive cancelled read only then dragged and dropped into
C:\Windows\Application Data\Identities. All is now restored , MANY THANKS
ps could't find the option of "import from a store folder" though. (and sorry i should have mentioned my os was W98)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…