Re-installing 98SE

Pidder 22:47 01 Jun 04

Can I re-instal 98SE using the C.D. without re-formatting the HDD? I just want to make sure there are no program faults causing increasing "freezing".I have run Scandisc quite often but the problem persists.

VoG II 22:51 01 Jun 04

Before doing that, Start, Run, type in

SFC

and press the Enter key.

VoG II 22:52 01 Jun 04

Before doing that, Start, Run, type in

SFC

and press the Enter key.

woodchip 22:57 01 Jun 04

I have had that prob for about two day's

VoG II 23:02 01 Jun 04

Yep, taken to error page, right?

johnsims 23:02 01 Jun 04

It is likely that you just have too much other software installed and Windows cannot cope with it all. Once you have anything over 2 gigs of applications added, Widows begins to degrade and problems surface because it's just getting too crowded in there.

So, reinstalling Win 98 without clearing out the rubbish is not really going to help much.

Suggest either multi boot two installs to different partitions or get hold of a system multiplier such as HyperOs. I did and haven't had a crash or had to reinstall windows in nearly two years. Previously every 6 months or so.

woodchip 23:08 01 Jun 04

I keep my 98se below 1.5Gb

Pidder

You could try 98se over the top. turn of Anti-virus and install Win98 cd and run setup

Pidder 23:11 01 Jun 04

Hi all. Thanks for your advices. I take it that SFC wiil rectify any discrepancies. I have already removed several unnecessary programs, doesn't seem to make a lot of difference. OS is on a 4.1 Gb C drive with 3.25 used. Also have a 40Gb drive for photos etc.

woodchip 23:22 01 Jun 04

It's too many programs that cause the problems

Pidder 22:46 02 Jun 04

woodchip and johnsims - thanks. I'll try transferring some files to the other Hard Drive.
VoG - I've run SFC,accepted the alterations required from the CD and then run the MS Security CD. Seems much better, (fingers crossed).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…