Re-Installed Windows XP Home - no display adapter

Woodmouse 11 21:29 29 Feb 04

Having had a few problems, I decided to re-install XP Home Edition on top of itself. During this re-install, a message appeared half way through . . . VIAAGPI.SYS on VIA AGP Filter Driver Disk is needed. On attempting to install my Saphire graphics card driver, I get the following message . . . Severe - Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup. When I checked on Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager - there was no display device line. What is happening please?

jimv7 21:50 29 Feb 04

When it asks for graphic card drivers, just click 'ok' and let xp load its own, if it does not know which card you have, it will load standard vga drivers.

After its finished loading then place your driver cd in and load.

dazzling (work) 21:51 29 Feb 04

try changing the dislay adapter it probably has the windows generic driver in right click and click properties then click change driver when it asks for disk put disk in and windows should find the driver if not navigate to it .darren

temp003 03:12 01 Mar 04

Do you mean viaagp.sys (rather than viaagpi.sys)?

If there was a problem with this file, the problem may be the motherboard (probably with VIA chipset) driver and not the graphics card. Probably the driver for the VIA AGP controller is missing. May also explain why you don't even get a display adapter in Device Manager.

A bit strange because XP should still have some sort of default drivers. Are there other yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager?

If you still have motherboard CD, try installing the motherboard drivers again.

Or try reinstalling SP1a if XP CD hasn't got SP1 or SP1a integrated. You have to do this anyway, since a repair installation (over the top) brings XP system files back to original CD state. Same with all post-CD version Windows Updates.

So the Blaster patch for XP is the first thing you should re-apply immediately.

After sorting out the AGP thing (if that is the problem), and your graphics card reappears in Device Manager, install graphics card driver if necessary.

temp003 03:14 01 Mar 04

Another possibility is if the motherboard has onboard graphics. If so, make sure it's disabled in BIOS. But then again, the onboard graphics should still appear in Device Manager, with or without an exclamation mark. Just guessing.

Woodmouse 07:10 02 Mar 04

With your help, I managed to cure the problem. All I had to do was insert the motherboard CD and follow the instructions to install the drivers. From that point, installed the various updates.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5