Re-installation XP

Peter-200561 18:34 16 Mar 05

After years of abuse it time to reformat the hard drive on my daughter computer. After backing up everything i decided to check out the XP restore CD. I have the following message,
"the installation process cannot take place because the version installed is more recent than the version on the CD; If you delete the more recent version installed the files and config cannot be recovered.
I cannot remember if XP was pre installed but i have not altered anything since. Is this an SP2 problem and if i do reformat can XP be installed normally using the original CD.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:05 16 Mar 05

Yes you can format and install XP from the original CD you will then need to download and install all the updates.

Also you will need to reinstall all drivers and programs.

This is why format and start again is last option when trying to overcome problems.

1. uninstall all no longer used programs

2. run antispyware and antivirus progs to get rid of any nasties.

3. run something like Crap Cleaner click here to clear out all temporay files and fix issues in the registry.

4. defrag and scan disk the HDDs

and you will be suprised at how much faster evey thing ten runs.

rawprawn 19:06 16 Mar 05

You will need to reinstall your XP from your disc and then install SP2 again which will bring you up to scratch after updating.

woodchip 19:22 16 Mar 05

A restore disc should just over write the Partition and put it back to when it was bought, Less all the updates and SP2

Peter-200561 19:40 16 Mar 05

Thanks for advice everyone, i have already followed the advice suggested by "fruitbat", perhaps i will try again before i undertake a potential reformat.
I was just perplexed by the message of having a newer version installed than on the CD which came with the computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…