Re-Installation of Windows XP

Blackcat 10:35 17 Mar 03

I want to reinstall WinXP to a different drive on the same computer. How does this affect the registration of Win XP? I understand that the same copy cannot be installed on a second computer but what happens when it is reinstalled as above? many thanks- BLACKCAT

Depending on how many times you have reinstalled XP already yo may well get away without any problems at all and simply activate over the internet as normal.

If it should throw a wobbly and say that the activations have exceeded the limit or that the computer configurations have changed so much (probably wont be the latter) then simply phone MS on the number they give on the activation screen and they will activate it for you.

Done it loads of times and never had any problam whatsoever.

BTW if you are wanting the data on the Hard drive that you are using at the moment then I would really reccomend that you allow sharing on the drive or drag all the documants that you want to the shared items folder - failure to do this will mean that your data is inaccessable to the new drive as permissions will not have been set.

Also, IMHO, I would remove completely the "old" drive while you put the new one in. any problems you may have will not affect any of the data on the drive which could just be put back in as master while you sort it out.

Blackcat 12:16 17 Mar 03

Many thanks Smiffy99. Blackcat

tran1 12:22 17 Mar 03

Installing Windows on a nother hard drive in the same computer is ok (As long as its for backup purposes). I phoned microsft about this and they said it was fine.

« Ravin » 12:27 17 Mar 03

you can change up to 6 major devices before you are required to call up microsoft to activate windows xp so go ahead.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…