Re-install XP Home

sneakerman 18:23 28 May 07

I have offered to re-install WinXP Home for a friend onto his Dell pc, now thewre is a lavel on the side of the box with a product key on it and I have used SIW to find out the product key 'in use'

When I reinstall which one of these keys should I use?

I'm fairly certain that this is all above board, his PC has quite a few games on it and is running like a snail on crutches, nothing more sinister than that. I have a WinXP Home cd of my own and I intend to use that along with his key to do the re-installation.

Thanks

Totally-braindead 18:28 28 May 07

Use your XP Home CD and the key on his PC on the bottom of the case, you might need to download the drivers again, I would go to the Dell website and download the drivers first.
Dell PCs do use a hidden partition for there PCs are you sure its not there as you could use that.

sneakerman 18:49 28 May 07

Yea, thanks for that, I have never had much faith in these hidden partitions, they take up space on the HD which could be used for other things, I take your point about the drivers, I'll do that now.

Thanks

sneakerman 12:12 29 May 07

I have run into a problem.

I took my XP Home CD and created a new CD with slipstreamed SP2 into it. I repartitioned the hard disk to have a C: and a D: drive, put all the important stuff onto D:, formatted C:

Now when I boot from my new CD I get "NTLDR is missing - Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart". If I use my original XP Home CD it boots fine.

Why will the PC not boot from my new XP disc?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:04 29 May 07

Sounds like you didn't create the bootable disk correctly.

click here

sneakerman 15:42 29 May 07

I had created a 'bootable' ISO file and have since burn't directly to CD - both failed, I was CDBurnerXP but I'll give Nero a go tonight - Thanks

PS, the CD that I burned directly gives the error - 'Can't load DOS! any key to retry'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009