Re-install XP Home

denali 14:49 30 Oct 05

My Daughters motherboard blew. I took it to be checked and they said it definately needed a new one. They installed it and then said they would have to re-install her o/s at a cost of £45. She still has her original XP Home disk and this seemed ridiculous. Is there anyway she can use her original disk and get it re-activated? Many thanks.

I apologise if this post appears more than once. It never appeared first time round.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:45 30 Oct 05

Yes check BIOS is set to boot CD rom as first boot.

Switch on with CD in drive and press any key to boot from CD

follow the prompts and do a clean install of XP inputting the product number from the sticker,

Change of motherboard is one of the things that require reactivation. again follow the prompts on the Activation screen.

denali 15:57 30 Oct 05

Fruit Bat /\0/\. That is two things I will have to try tomorrow.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:01 30 Oct 05

£45. at the cost per hour that these shops charge (approx £30) you'll find install activation and setting up will take one and a half hours.

denali 16:40 30 Oct 05

Fruit Bat /\0/\. I appreciate what you are saying but my objections arose when my daughter gave them her original disk and they simply said it would not work without any explaination. I have to see them tomorrow to sort it out. Thank you for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…