Re-install XP advice

slysy 10:05 20 Mar 04

Hope somebody can help.

I have had XP Home installed for one and half years and it has worked without any problems.

However, in the last month the whole system has slowed down, the registry is full of crap, bits of old data have been left all over the place.
Now I seem to have picked up a virus, which keeps disabling McAfee, Word 2000 will no longer open, Outlook 2000 does not work correctly and any program that I run use 100% CPU which is causing increasing CPU temps.

I now want to format Drive C: and reinstall XP Upgrade.
All my downloads etc are on a seperate drive E: and I have Win 98 on drive F:

Just want to make sure that I dont forget to backup data, can anyone suggest what to backup?
Email, address book, Favourites are not a problem.

I just cant seem to find info for things like POP3/SMTP settings, mail stationary, Office stationary and all the little stuff that gets forgotten.

Any suggestions and advice would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Sly Sy

Paranoid Android 10:38 20 Mar 04

First you need to make absolutely certain you've killed that virus, or it may re-infect via one of yout other drives. NOT GOOD.

Try an online virus scanner or a specific removal tool.

Obviously back up your documents, mp3s, photos, and use the files and settings transfer wizard. Once you have absolutely killed the virus, you might consider imaging the drive before you wipe it, just in case there's anything you miss. Acronis Trueimage or recent versions of Ghost will let you restore individual files and folders from an image file.

Marvin

slysy 10:43 20 Mar 04

Cheers,

I have run virus scan on all drives, using McAfee Viruscan Pro and deleted virus from the OS drive.
Just want to wipe all data from drive C and reinstall XP and other programs so that they all work, hopefully lol.

temp003 11:28 20 Mar 04

Enable show hidden files and folders, and file extensions. Just go through the folders.

If you're unsure about what data/settings you might miss, the safe course is to back up the entire C:\Documents and Settings folder (yes, could be huge), or at least your own user account subfolder (Documents and Settings\yourusername). It's littered with personal settings, with no consistent organisation (and there's stuff outside that too).

Pop3/smtp settings - they are all in your email account properties. If you use Outlook Express, just click Tools, Accounts, Mail tab, highlight the email account(s), click Export, and save it somewhere you remember (it has an .iaf extension). On new XP, in OE, click File, Import, Mail Account Settings, and browse to the file.

Email stationery - c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared (this will be reinstalled, only back it up if you have created your own)

For Word, click Tools, Options, File Locations, to see where things are stored, such as templates.

If you have a custom dictionary for Word, find that too. custom.dic

Windows Media Library - if you have entered quite a bit of information for your songs, you might want to save your CurrentDatabase_59R.wmdb and folders.wmdb (if any) - in c:\docs and settings\yourusername\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player

If you have created Rules or Block Senders list for OE, or if you have configured IE to block or accept cookies from particular sites, and want to save these settings, post back.

slysy 06:36 21 Mar 04

Just what I needed, case closed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…