Re-install Windows XP from the command prompt

rawsongreen 19:19 27 Oct 04

After partitioning my hard drive using Acronis Partition Expert. Windows could not start because a dll file was missing. Booting with a floppy I get the command prompt. I have a Windows XP Home disk does anyone know how to reinstall Windows from the command promt?

VoG II 19:26 27 Oct 04

Start the computer with your chosen boot disk.

Change to the cdrom drive.

Go into the \i386 directory on the cdrom.

Run WINNT.EXE to begin the install process.

Source click here

rawsongreen 19:43 27 Oct 04

Thank you for your quick response. However I have a further problem in that my screen is not showing the first few letters of the line so I don't know if I can see the \i386 directory (I'm next door at the moment) if I can see the file and see WNNT.EXE how do I run it? Thanks again.

VoG II 19:46 27 Oct 04

at the > prompt just type

WINNT.EXE

and press the Enter key.

rawsongreen 18:19 28 Oct 04

I could not change directory to my CD drive - it said the pathway was 'invalid' so I could think of no alternative but to call in professional help. Thanks again.

keith-236785 19:06 28 Oct 04

dont call anyone in, put the cd in the drive and reboot the pc, providing the cd is first boot option in the bios you should be able to boot to cd and from there, re-install windows.

if the cd is not first boot option, enter the bios and change the boot order to cdfirst, floppy second and drive C third.

good luck

rawsongreen 19:13 28 Oct 04

Thanks but I have already spent my money.
But I would welcome knowing how to enter the bios and changing the boot order.Thanks

VoG II 19:15 28 Oct 04

To enter the BIOS normally means pressing a key, or combination of keys, immediately after switch-on. A message to this effect usually flashes up on the screen when you switch on, such as "To enter setup press Del". Other common BIOS codes are listed at click here.

When the BIOS screen appears you will see a set of menu options. Look for one labelled Boot or Startup and select the item Boot Order, or First Boot; this will be set to HD0, HD1 or the serial number of your hard disc drive.

Change the setting to read CD, CD-Rom or the serial number of your CD/DVD-Rom drive, Save the Change and Exit the BIOS. Open the CD-Rom drive, insert your XP disk and restart your computer.

rawsongreen 19:34 28 Oct 04

I will attemt to enter the bios - just for practice- but not tonight.
Is it best practice in everyday use to have the floppy boot first as normal or the CD drive?
I would like to have a look at Linux and therefore partition, do you think it is sensible to try again while I have a clean system?

Mozarella 20:09 28 Oct 04

I loaded Win XP Pro from the CD by doing exactly what paperman 27 said. boot up, put your CD in your reader and close down. Reboot and enter BIOS by hitting your DEL key once or twice. when in BIOS go to Advanced and change the start up order using the plus or minus keys on the right side of your keyboard. Put CD ROM into the position that Floppy is in, then using the same method put Floppy into the place that CD/Rom occupied, then exit and boot up until yopu see the message at the bottom of your screen saying if you wish to boot from CD press any key. This message doesn`t stay too long so you`ve got to be sharp. It should be plain sailing now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac