Re-install Windows XP

Kerrso05 13:32 29 Sep 06

Hi there

I wonder can anyone help

I have just inherited a computer from a friend who just died recently (rather tragically)and it appears that on the computer is an edition of Windows XP Professional (which seems to be a copy.....don't know how he came by it and don't want to know)
Can I reinstall Windows with a genuine version of Windows XP Home or mutimedia or will I loose the information on the Hard Drive?
How easy is it to reinstall a different version of windows?

Diodorus Siculus 13:43 29 Sep 06

Better to back up the data on the hard drive and then do a clean install of XP.

Diodorus Siculus 13:44 29 Sep 06

click here for a guide

Kerrso05 13:55 29 Sep 06

Thanks

Now the next question I need to ask is what Back Up software should I use? I have heard that Nortons Ghost is a good back up software.......although I have never used it.......is it easy to use?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:27 29 Sep 06

Change the product key to a genuine key number

1/ Click the Start button

2/ From the Start Menu click Run

3/ In the Run dialogue box type: regedit

4/ The Windows Registry window will now open

5/ Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\WPAEvents

6/ In the Right Hand Pane of the registry window Right Click on the OOBETimer value and select Modify

7/ Change at least one of the characters in the Modify dialogue box to either a number between 0 and 9 or a letter between A and F and close the registry

8/ This operation now Deactivates the current product key rendering it invalid

To Re-Activate Windows

1/ Click the Start button

2/ From the Start menu click Run

3/ In the Run dialogue box type: C:\windows\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a and press OK (If your copy of XP is an upgrade from Windows NT/2000 then substitute the above command for the following: C:\winnt\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

4/ The Windows Activation Screen will now launch

5/ Select Yes i want to Telephone a Microsoft customer service representative and then click the Next button

6/ Select Change product key option and type in your new Product key number

7/ Click Update and then close the window

8/ On pressing Update the window may return to the previous screen. If it does so, then simply select the Remind Me later option

9/ Now Reboot your system

10/ When your PC has rebooted you will be asked to Re-Activate your copy of xp through the normal activation channel, i.e via the internet.

Kerrso05 15:55 29 Sep 06

Thanks

But if I just use a genuine key number would I not have to use Windows XP Professional key Number as that the version installed on the computer? I was hoping to get the cheaper Windows XP Home........I don't need/want Professional XP.
Alsoi what about this back up software ......any suggestions?
Thanks for all your help

Diodorus Siculus 16:14 29 Sep 06

You don't need special backup software; Ghost is fine but it will create an image of the disk as it is now and that is of no use to you.

Simply burn that data that you want to either CD or DVD using, for example, Nero or DeepBurner (free) software.

Is there much on it that you want?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:19 29 Sep 06

I must learn to read fully before posting
I must learn to read fully before posting
I must learn to read fully before posting...

You are quite correct you cannot put a XP home No. in Prof system.
If you want Home then wipe the drive and install home, of course you will lose any other programs installed on there.
The best back up software is Acronis True Image currently in version 9click here, v7 is free click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…