Re install Win XP Home

leedsafc 18:34 25 Apr 06

Following on from a previous link re DVD not seen in win xp. I have been advised to reinstall or repair windows. However two problems have occurred:
1) How do i do a re install if the drives are not seen?
2) Because the PC is a Packard Bell i do not have the Win XP disc?
Give us a clue anyone!

Totally-braindead 18:41 25 Apr 06

click here that is the thread you mention I think, who said to reinstall windows, my first thought is the cable is faulty. Windows uses its own driver so thats not the issue. You mention on the other thread that it is set as Master, is it on the same cable as your hard drive because your hard drive should be master on IDE 1 and the dvd drive should either be slave on IDE 1 or preferably master on IDE 2.

leedsafc 18:56 25 Apr 06

Yes thats the thread. I have replaced the cable and it is on a separate IDE independent of the HDD All jumpers set correctly to Master/Slave config. Exclamation marks in device manager on both DVD and CD Rom drives. They are both showing as Primary and Secondary in the BIOS but not showing or working in My Computer. Further information is that the PC has been infected with numerous Trojans and although these have been quarantained by AVG do you think this may have any significance?

Totally-braindead 19:01 25 Apr 06

Its possible.

What I would try first is disconnect both cds and connect one of them as a slave on the same IDE as the hard drive and see if that works.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:01 25 Apr 06

click on the drive in device manager what error does it give Code 10? 19?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:02 25 Apr 06

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

Totally-braindead 19:05 25 Apr 06

I wouldn't format the hard drive either, I presume if you got no windows disk you have a restore disk and if so, you may find windows is actually on a hidden partition on your hard drive, if you format the hard drive you will lose it and will have to buy another copy of Windows XP.

leedsafc 19:32 25 Apr 06

Thanks all for the feedback. A lot to try out there. Fruit Bat, the error code in DM is 41 does that reveal anything? Will try System file checker.
TB, good call i will try that. I'm of the same opinion regarding formating that must be the last resort!

leedsafc 12:20 26 Apr 06

I understand that i maybe able to resolve error code 41 by going into the regedit. Before i attempt this can anyone advise me how to backup and restore the old settings if all goes wrong?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…