re IE6

ROYWIDD 13:04 17 Oct 03

Hi everyone,i recently had probs with my connection-"cannot display"etc,and i put it down to IE6 being corrupted,so i un-installed it,or so i thought.since reading threads last night ref ntl BB,it seems it could have been that.ive installed netscape as my browser,but not having IE is causing lots of apps not to work properly.
I've tried re-installing IE,but i get error message saying it cannot install because a newer version is already installed!Any of you clever people help please?Iwould like to know how to do a clean install of IE,THANKS.ROYWIDD

smegs 13:11 17 Oct 03
  smegs 13:12 17 Oct 03
  Jester2K II 13:48 17 Oct 03

To force IE to reinstall

In the registry goto

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}

If there is a key called IsInstalled then set the value to 0.

Now try to reinstall IE6.

ROYWIDD 18:37 17 Oct 03

hi jester2,also smegs,thanks for your advice.Can't open IE by just downloading,error msg tells me it cant access the sites needed to update components.Re getting into the registry Jester,how please do i do that?I'm on Win ME,sorry to be a pain..........roywidd

Legolas 18:51 17 Oct 03

To get into the registry go to start/run and type regedit click ok the registry will open with a list of the HKEYS follow Jester2K II advice to solve your problem.

If you are not used to tampering with the registry you should make a back up before going any further, to do this when you get into the registry click file/export and choose to save it to a floppy disk if you mess up the registry you can then restore with your backup

ROYWIDD 10:53 19 Oct 03

hi,many thanks for your help,IE6 back on and running ok,but will keep netscape for when IE decides to act up lol.ps,the registry's scary lol
roywidd

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…