re-help with new website

Jade 14 G 10:15 08 Aug 05

I am new to this but sick of paying my web host and l need anther web site .
I have word publisher will this do it, would love Front Page but just bought a laptop so it would have to wait a bit and am not good at waiting lol
I teach online so need another web site as ther's no room for the teaching and l would get charged more than front page.
The blogs, can you use them for teaching and to have a paypal link.
Jade

ade.h 16:23 08 Aug 05

I tried using Word 2000 for my first website project, but I found that the pages created in Word were riddled with errors.

You will thank yourself no end if you invest in a dedicated web design solution, such as NOF. click here for a free trial, which would be enough to get you started. If you want to try using word, you'll need an FTP program to publish it; some are available free, I think.

If you are looking to change web host, there quite a few good ones at good prices. I use F2S click here, which is well priced and fully specced, but there are plenty of others. Search the forum for web hosting and see what comes up.

Forum Editor 00:29 09 Aug 05

about your web site don't even think about using MS Word - it simply isn't versatile enough.

conrail 14:37 16 Aug 05

try sefif's web+9, click here

conrail 14:38 16 Aug 05

sorry, that should be Serif, not sefif, mustget a keyboard that can spell!!

Taran 19:22 16 Aug 05

Any good web host will offer you more than enough space and features, without breaking the bank.

For some interesting alternatives to help you along (hopefully) in terms of delivering your teaching material, have you found the range of software you can use which is web based ?

click here

There are applications ro run tests, deliver coursework, mark work and so on.

Hosts are ten a penney but good hosts are harder to find.

click here and click here are good in terms of service and cost. There are countelss others and I'm sure some of the forum members will suggest some of them.

If you seriously want to edit/create your own web pages you need appropriate software - NetObjects Fusion is as good a starting point as any and is relatively inexpensive. I have a PC Advisor cover disk from some months ago which fatures version 7 of the program. You're welcome to it if you want it.

If you arrange hosting with 1&1 you can get a full copy of FrontPage 2003 and/or Dreamweaver MX with certain packages.

Food for thought.

Jade 14 G 22:22 16 Aug 05

Been reading all about the class Websites but am stuck to what this means, it says requirments MSQL AND ANOHER ONE ISPHP4

jade

Taran 23:02 16 Aug 05

MySQL is a database platform - it is fast, stable, reliable and included with many web hosting accounts.

PHP is a server side language suyed to interact with the MySQL database.

MS SQL is a commercial level Microsoft database platform.

Basically, imagine a large database full of information - pupils, names, course details, grades and so on.

Now imagine a web page written in PHP that can pull information out of the large database and display it on a web page in your browser.

I suggested you look at the products on that link since I have seen (and used) some of them in use and they work wonderfully well from a teaching perspective (I teach too).

However, the programs on that link are not necessarily for a beginner to set up. You can do it with a bit of common sense and help if required (that's where we come in). The important thing to remember is that most of the programs on that link have excellent documentation, some of them have good support forums where problems may be solved.

More details on PHP and MySQL can be found here:

click here

click here

Jade 14 G 10:59 17 Aug 05

Than you for the links, am trying togt my head round it all as its ike learning another language
Jade

crazyj 20:26 04 Sep 05

I agree with the forum editor about ms word not being versatile enough. I started to make my site in dreamweaver but i got fed up with it not creating stuff exactly how i wanted it so I went the full way and learnt xhtml and css, now my site is exactly to my specificaton not how someone from macromedia (now owened by adobe) thinks it should be.

PurplePenny 21:32 04 Sep 05

Open Source is the educator's friend! (So said a conference at Oxford University.) Take a look at Nvu which claims to rival Frontpage and Dreamweaver: click here

Some people have had problems with its "publish" facility so you may also need FTP software. Try Filezilla: click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…