re- Help in moving files

Jade 14 G 20:15 06 Feb 05

Can someone help,l am getting a new pc and have a lot of pictures and Word files.
What is the best way to move them as l haven't a re,writer and floppys never work in pictures files,
Jade.

VoG II 20:18 06 Feb 05
  JonnyTub 20:18 06 Feb 05

If the old pc has a lan port the cheapest option would be to temporarily network them to copy them across, otherwise a simple usb memory card would be my first choice

Jade 14 G 10:54 07 Feb 05

What would you advise, setting the new computer up alongside the old one . But we haven't got a pc store to get usb cards from,
Jade

JonnyTub 20:13 07 Feb 05

you could install the old hard drive in the new pc as slave and copy them directly

Jade 14 G 13:51 08 Feb 05

Have just been looking at microsoft trouble shooter pages and they have a moving wizard if you use XP. It looks quite good,
Jade

JohnVord 13:54 08 Feb 05

I did this by emailing the files to myself. It worked.
John

FelixTCat 16:17 08 Feb 05

If you can't find any other way, buy a cheap USB drive, sometimes called a pen drive or USB flash drive, see here: click here

You can get 64 MByte for £7 or 128 MByte for £14. I don't know how many files you have to move, but you shouldn't have to go back and forth more than a few times.

Jade 14 G 17:27 08 Feb 05

When moving the files did you have to have a cable between the old and new computers.
I have nine years of class work so if they got lost l would never get them back or my job lol
Jade

FelixTCat 19:16 08 Feb 05

Jade

I'm sorry, I forgot the cheapest and easiest option of the lot. When you get your new computer, take the hard disk that contains your data out of your old computer and put it in your new computer. You can either copy the data to your new hard disk and replace the other disk in the old computer, or simply leave both disks in your new computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…