Re-formatting WINDOWS ME

Dirty Dick 16:16 01 Apr 05

A friend is in the process of re-formatting his hard drive. He has cleared everything off and is now running in what I think is MS DOS. He has his original CD with Windows ME and a Floppy recovery Disc. What does he type into the MS DOS promp to get Windows to load. It is very difficult as we are passing info by phone and he's not very good at describing things to me !!!

Thanks

DD

Taff36 16:29 01 Apr 05

Can he see his CD Rom drive (I doubt it) type in

dir d: and he should see a list of files on the ME disk. You are looking for setup.exe

Try here for a Win ME bootdisk and follow the instructions to reload the OS click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:29 01 Apr 05

1. back up all docs, settings, drivers,

2. boot from floppy

select with CD support

3 At the a:\ prompt tpye format c: /s (this will add system files to HDD.

on completion of format type e:\ press enter, assumming "e"is CD drive remember tools push CD drive back one letter when booting of floppy.

4. at e:\ prompt tpye setup press enter windows should now start to install by inspecting the system and running scann disk. on completion of scandisk press exit to continue setting up windows.

Taff36 16:40 01 Apr 05

Thanks Fruit Bat!

woodchip 16:44 01 Apr 05

Tell him to Go into BIOS Setup when the computer is starting it should tell him what key to press to enter setup then tell him to set the first boot device as CD-ROM save settings and exit BIOS restart with WinME disc in comp it should start automatic in setup

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…