re-formatting a laptop

javaBalls 17:42 20 Sep 04

I know how to re-format an normal PC but I wondered if the process would differ with a laptop.

If you have been reading some of my recent posts then you will know that my friend's laptop has problems.

It's running so slow I think that I better start from scratch and then install the proper anti-virus stuff on it.

However he cannot find the Windows Recovery CD and drivers and utilities disk that came with the laptop.

Do I need these disks? If he goes out and buys a new copy of Windows then would I simply be able to install it on his laptop after I have reformatted it?

Diemmess 17:49 20 Sep 04

A fresh purchase of the O/S is not only proper and legal but one problem solved.

Do please collect all the motherboard drivers before you destroy the old arrangement.

Diemmess 17:52 20 Sep 04

Worth running something like aida32 to get names for everything and download each driver. Otherwise the principle is the same for both desktop and laptop.

javaBalls 19:45 20 Sep 04

Diemmess - that program (aida32) sounds great. But everywhere I've tried to download it from does not work. Do you know where I can download it from?

Is there another way within windows that I can save driver information?

(and don't say system info because that is one of the things that doesn't work)

javaBalls 20:56 20 Sep 04

Ok. I managed to download aida32 - it is very good.

Before I go an re-format my friend's laptop is there anything else I should think about?

javaBalls 21:16 20 Sep 04

Ok. I managed to download aida32 - it is very good.

Before I go an re-format my friend's laptop is there anything else I should think about?

Diemmess 15:58 21 Sep 04

I have no first hand experience of XP and only a really old Mac Powerbook for laptops. Lots of experience with PCs and all earlier versions of Windows except ME. Some were very nice, some were very nasty indeed, but I still like playing with the things!

Provided you have now all the mobo drivers (and by reputation XP does a lot for you), then I don't know of any special snags with laptops against PCs. Just bear in mind that the laptop belongs to an earlier time and while it all should go as you hope, you are dragging a mid nineties computer into the 21st century!

By coincidence, different parts of my family were having internet connection problems when I went off-line yesterday and I haven't been back since, though pleased to say their troubles have been solved.

javaBalls 12:43 22 Sep 04

Everything is ok at last!

My mate's laptop was so messed up I had no option but to reformat it.

It was almost a complete disaster when windows encountered a fatal error when installing. But I tried it over and over again and somehow it worked! Phew!

You might be interesed in a few programs that I used.

aida32 click here was excellent as it provided me with the system information before I wiped the memory.

I also used My Drivers click here to back up all the the drivers and re-install them after.

The laptop is now running like a dream!

Graham ® 13:52 22 Sep 04

I'm glad you succeeded, especially when I nearly failed! I too offered to format and re-instal ME. No floppy drive but a full version of ME.

Made the CD drive the first boot, then 'format c:'. Booted it up, not a sausage! The CD drive was accessed, but no response.

After several days I went to her business and asked if there were any other discs that came with the laptop. Her secretary came up with one - a recovery disc! Problem solved.

Diemmess 17:27 22 Sep 04

Gives you a "feelgood feeling" doesn't it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now