Re-formatting C drive

Dirty Dick 09:06 01 Dec 03

I have decided to re-format my C drive. I am running Windows 98 SE. I have backed up copies of all my files and looked in Help as to what to do. It then said just follow the instructions on screen. I opened my PC in Command Prompt Only and typed in "format c:" when requested. No more help has appeared except for a prompt "A:\>" . I don't know what to do. Can ant one help.
Thanks

Try this. At the A: prompt, type C:. It should rhen change to C:, type format C:

Then hit Enter.

spikeychris 09:11 01 Dec 03

Easiest way is to boot from floppy disk. You Will need to create one from control panel, Double-click Add/Remove Programs, click the Startup Disk tab, and click the Create Disk button.

As said boot from it and at the a:/ prompt type format c

Follow the on screen info.....

Dirty Dick 09:18 01 Dec 03

Ive tried typing format c after the A prompt but I get the response "Parameter format not correct - c"
Also tried changing A promp to C prompt and get the same.
Got Start up disc but it comes up with prompt "A:\>" and can;t seem to get any further

spikeychris 09:24 01 Dec 03

Have you booted from the disk? as in turn off machine and turn back on with disk in drive?

Dirty Dick 09:28 01 Dec 03

I have turned the PC off and on and then re-booted with Start up floppy in drive

How are you getting to the Command Prompt Only screen? In Safe Mode?

Dirty Dick 09:33 01 Dec 03

The command prompt just appears, it seems to go through some process of checking things then the final thing is the prompt. I did start it up in Safe Mode to format the drive.

spikeychris 09:42 01 Dec 03

Is Windows sat on C?

Go Start, Shut Down, Restart in MS-DOS mode. Try the command in that screen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…