Re-Formatting

allstar 17:29 26 Jul 03

Hi

I wish to do a multi-boot with Win98, Win XP & Mandrake 9.1

I know I should install Win 98, then Win XP and not format the rest of the hard drive but let Mandrake sort that out.

The problem is that the HDD is currently formatted in NTFS and has Win XP on it. How do I cleanly reformat the HDD to install 98? Would i be able to start the clean install process using the WinXP disk to reformat but then not install XP, but instead 98 followed by XP?

Also, will win98 recognise the NTFS file structure or will it only work on FAT32?

barrie_g 19:48 26 Jul 03

Use the xp disk to reformat in fat 32 then boot with a 98 startup disk, fdisk etc.

Ken Ju-On 19:58 26 Jul 03

As Barrie said, you can have to reformat the disk in FAT32 using the Windows XP CD (won't it work with the Windows 98 CD?)

Or... you can resize the current NTFS partition using Partition Magic. Then, allocate a certain amount of disk space to form a FAT32 partition. You can set up Ext2 or Ext3 partitions for Linux but just leave some unpartitioned space and Mandrake will nudge itself nicely into it, forming its own partitions.

Also bear in mind that Linux can resize FAT partitions but it cannot normally resize NTFS partitions.

No, Win98 will not recognize the NTFS structure.

AMD_MAN23 20:02 26 Jul 03

the windows 98 boot disk using ntfsa will recognise the ntfs partition as a non-dos partition and you can just fdisk it away and reformat.

colin

woodchip 20:03 26 Jul 03

You have to use FDISK to get rid of NTFS before you can do anything. Delete all partitions

allstar 21:27 26 Jul 03

Thanks for the replies, as ever it has been very useful.

Migwell 00:17 27 Jul 03

Ken ju-on has uttered those dreaded words, PARTITION MAGIC If I never hear them again it will be to soon. A bigger load of C**P I never came accross.

I feel that if I ever hear those words again I will SCREAM!

I have told you all before, about the mess P/M caused Don't go there. Don't even think about it.

You be would far better off buying a second H/D or using FDISK than using that load of tosh, dont waste yor money.

ollie < one> 10:18 27 Jul 03

cc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…