Re-formating partitioned drive

briann 17:34 04 Jan 06

I currently have a 20Gb partioned drive on my laptop, C:10Gb & D:10Gb. On switch-on it has option to select XP Home (on C:) and XP Professional (on D:). I want to remove XP Professional as it is no longer required and therefore free up some space on D: Question is can I just delete the D: XP Professional by reformating the D: or do I need to some how unload it. Yours in anticipation...Brian

Diodorus Siculus 17:53 04 Jan 06

Yes you can format the D drive and then you will need to edit the boot.ini file on the C drive so that the option is removed.

briann 20:20 04 Jan 06

The formating seems to have worked but a search of the C: cannot find the "boot.ini" file, I don't suppose you know where it might be?

Diodorus Siculus 21:16 04 Jan 06

It's a hidden file - you need to tell Windows to show hidden files.

briann 23:03 04 Jan 06

thanks Diodorus Siculus I have found the file and have deleted the reference to XP Professional in the startup screen however it still refers to XP Home and "Windows Default. If I delete the content of the "Boot.ini" file e.g. empty and save as blank then will the PC still boot up and go straight to XP Home (sorry I don't have the nerve to try it)

Thalmus 23:10 04 Jan 06

It will be easier if you use msconfig

Click start > run and type msconfig, when the windows opens click the boot.ini tab. The should be a button saying something like "check boot paths" give that a click and it should you boot.ini file for you

Thalmus 23:11 04 Jan 06

Excuse the bad bad spelling and grammer!

"...and it should sort out the boot.ini file for you"

briann 23:26 04 Jan 06

Thanks it worked perfect, appreciate everyones help. Brian.

Diodorus Siculus 08:14 05 Jan 06

For future reference dont delete the content of the boot.ini file - I really should have posted a link to how to edit it.

Using msconfig as suggested by Thalmus is by far an easier option for the novice user.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…