Re-formating with out a disk

ordep 12:34 31 Dec 05

As the title suggest, I need to reformat my old computer (WinXP), except it came without the Windows CD. It's a perfectly legal installation I might add. Is this possible to reformat with out the CD.

De Marcus™ 12:36 31 Dec 05

If you have a floppy drive you can use a 98 bootdisk to format from click here

woodchip 12:38 31 Dec 05

yes you can format, but where are you going to get a new operating system from

Totally-braindead 13:06 31 Dec 05

Is this possible to reformat with out the CD.

In short no. You could download the Win98 boot disk and format thats no problem, but without a Windows disk to reinstall you've had it.

Are you sure you need to format? If the computer came with Windows preinstalled there may be a partition of the hard drive with windows on it from which you could reinstall, but not if you format it I hasten to add because the format would destroy everything.

ordep 13:23 31 Dec 05

Thanks for our speedy replies peeps.

Totally-braindead. When you say reinstall, are you meaning, right click on Local Disk (C), left click on Format.

007al 13:37 31 Dec 05

Why do you need to reformat?
Formatting will erase everything from the hard disk,and you dont have a Windows CD to reinstall the opersting system.
Are you reformatting to sell the pc?

ordep 13:39 31 Dec 05

"Are you reformatting to sell the pc?"

Thats a yes 007al

007al 13:51 31 Dec 05

Youre going to have to borrow an ansallation disc from someone.Do you not have a disc with your new comp? You can use that disc as long as you still have the installation key for your old pc

PC Bilbo 14:13 31 Dec 05

If you want to wipe whats on your hard drive because your selling, why not download the fee app. from [email protected] which will overwrite your hdd with
0's.

click here

jack 14:13 31 Dec 05

Why reformat?
If you consider that you have sensitive material onboard then simply delete it.
Yes I konw the stories about what is deleted has not gone, but it rather depends who you sell the machine to doesn't it?
It still takes a fair bit of IT acumen to do the dirty deed
But investigate the partion aspect there may well be way out! Or if it is one of the mainstream brands take it up with them, there may be a way to clean the machine.

007al 14:50 31 Dec 05

Use one of these click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…