Re-format without recovery disc/cd

allang 08:50 07 Jan 04

I bought a laptop from TIME COMPUTERS and I need to re-format my hard drive.It came with XP pre- installed and I only have a recovery disk.When I put the disk in,I get prompted to place recovery cd in.I DON'T HAVE ONE!!Looking on their support site it sez I can buy one for for only £60!! Is there any way round this? Can anyone advise before I hand over the cash? Answers on a postcard please before lunchtime if possible.

xania 08:58 07 Jan 04

For my money, Time should have provided you either with the recovery CD or with a S/W loaded onto a hidden partition. I suggest you get back to them as, without this, and the approrpiate SW key, you really have no licence to have the SW installed on the laptop oin the first place.

allang 09:05 07 Jan 04

Xp is in hidden partition and has valid product code sticker on the bottom of me laptop.However, their support pages sez you only get a recovery cd if you paid for it as part of maintenance package at time of purchase.Having paid £1200 for my computer I wonder why nobody asked me if I wanted the above.Hence my problem.

alcudia 09:09 07 Jan 04

Sounds like a complete rip off to me. Dixons only charge a fiver for an Advent recovery CD replacement. If this is Time policy it seems like another good reason to avoid them. Recovery discs, especially with XP, should be supplied as standard.

Perhaps Time would like to comment here.

You don't say why you need to format. If you just want to delete all your old files, etc., there are commands to do that without a format.

allang 10:19 07 Jan 04

My laptop is dying.It's lying on its back with its legs in the air.I have 100's of cross linked files(see previous postings) and quite frequently I get umpteen restarts while it tries to sort itself out.Hence the need for re-formatting.

Has anyone else had dealings with TIME COMPUTERS?

spikeychris 10:19 07 Jan 04
  BigMoFoT 10:39 07 Jan 04

According to Microsoft, PC manufacturers are under no obligation to provide any means of recovery!!

There was an article in PCA a few months back

Have you tried 'Disk Cleanup'? It can be found in System Tools, or Run, cleanmgr.

allang 10:52 07 Jan 04

thanx

Sheila-214876 11:01 07 Jan 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…