Re format problem!

Rhuddlan 14:16 31 Jan 05

When trying to re format a friend's computer, I get a message saying something like multiple boots cannot be performed from norton ghost and that this was an invaild system dump. I put the restore cd in the computer and choose the option of formatting the hard drive c, but these messages then appeared. Norton systemworks antivirus, as well as internet security have all been uninstalled and I have performed a registry clean as well, any ideas? This computer has windows xp home sp1 and needs reformatting today!

mattyc_92 14:18 31 Jan 05

You relise you have to BOOT from the RECOVERY DISK don't you???

Rhuddlan 14:22 31 Jan 05

Yeah I thought I had done, the cd loaded after I restarted the computer, it has restore cd written on the case, not recovery disk. Can u help?

mattyc_92 14:26 31 Jan 05

What happens when the disk is loaded??? Does the "Press any key to boot from cd" message appear and when the disk is being "booted", is it loading the Windows Setup??

Rhuddlan 14:29 31 Jan 05

When the computer boots up from the cd the option of formatting the hard drive is asked or something else about DOS. I select option 1 and then y for yes, after a few seconds this norton message appears. Sorry for being a pain, but this is the first time I have formatted this machine.

Rhuddlan 14:36 31 Jan 05

The press any key to boot from cd message doesn't appear and the windows setup isn't loading whilst the cd is in the drive.

mattyc_92 14:38 31 Jan 05

Did thius disk come with your system... If so, it SHOULD be a "OEM" version of Windows for your system only... Otherwise this may be just a "backup" of the system...

I would lend a "partitioning" program to "delete" the partition and then format the drive (in theory this should then stop the eroor messages about programs are running)

Programs shouldn't be able to "run" in BOIS if you actually are in BOIS...

Rhuddlan 14:42 31 Jan 05

Yes, two system restore cd's cam with the computer. Like I said, there's no way Norton ghost can be running, as everything of norton has been uninstalled, how would I partition? And do I really have to do that? And I was in BIOS, anyone have any other ideas? And thanks Mattyc_92 u are very helpful, just hope there is a more simple solution to this.

mattyc_92 14:42 31 Jan 05

Have you got a "digital" camera to take a picture of this and then load back into windows and "upload" the image to click here and post the address to your image...

Rhuddlan 14:44 31 Jan 05

Yes I have got a digital camera, will take a pic now. So I upload the image to the website, then what happens?

mattyc_92 14:46 31 Jan 05

I don't mean partition the drive, you can just use it to "delete" it and then format it using the CD that came with the system...

Two system restore disks???? Are both bootable???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…