Re-format HD?

inkwash 19:45 31 Jan 05

Using Windows XP (NTFS), I keep getting Microsoft "error" displayed without crashing or re-booting the system. Most programs run correctly, but Photoshop CS shows several functions greyed out. It refuses to allow erasure of Photoshop and just displays "error" if I try. It will not allow me to install new software. Something is obviously corrupted. Do you think a complete re-format of HD is called for? If so, where do I find the best instructions to do this?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:55 31 Jan 05

REpair XP
click here
Type
sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.

This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

mattyc_92 19:58 31 Jan 05

Formatting the system would be the easiest and save you a hell of alot of time....

If you wish to go through with this, then backup all the files you wish to keep onto floppy disks, cd-rs or any other removable media...

Now insert your XP installation disk and restart the system....

Look out for the "press any key to boot from cd" message in the BOIS and when you see this message press a key on the keyboard... This will then "boot" up the cd into the WinXP installation...

Wait until everything has loaded (takes around 5 minutes so put the kettle on while you are waiting) and then press "enter->F8->d->L->(i think you need to press "enter" here, i can't remember)->enter" and your partition will be deleted and formatted (you need to select the system format, I suggest NTFS for WinXP)... Again put the kettle on because a 30gb hard-drive takes up to 30 minutes to format....

When it has formatted, it will start to copy files onto your system and then reboot the system... KEEP THE DISK IN THE DRIVE, but just ignore the "press any key" message.... This will now boot into the installation files that setup has just copied to your drive...

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation (but remember to keep the disk in the drive until the installation is 100% complete)...

You have suggessfully installed Windows XP onto your system... Enjoy...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:04 31 Jan 05

Clean install windows XP
click here
click here
click here
click here

You will have to back upall your data first and then after the fformat reinstall XP and all your programs.

I'd try a repair first takes about 30 mins

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…