Re-booting For No reason

AubreyS 13:33 12 Apr 06

Hello All.
I have a problem where my PC will re-start for no apparent reason. It may do it once or twice a day. Any idea's? I am running SP Pro and SP2

Totally-braindead 13:49 12 Apr 06

If its on for a while when it does it then the first thought is overheating. Have you checked the fans are all working? If all appears ok then does it happen when you run a particular program, are there any error messages? Is there anything new you have added to the computer recently?

Graham ® 13:55 12 Apr 06

Open System in Control Panel.

On the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.

Under System Failure, select the check boxes that correspond to the actions you want Windows to perform if a Stop error occurs:

1) Write an event to the system log specifies that event information will be recorded in the system log.
2) Send an administrative alert specifies that your system administrator will be notified.
3) Automatically reboot specifies that Windows will automatically restart your computer.

In your case, select 1). Then you should get an entry in Event Viewer instead.

AubreyS 15:24 12 Apr 06

I get no error messages and I can be running anything or nothing and it just reboots for no apparent reason.

All the fans seem to be running OK and so sign of over-heating.

AubreyS 18:25 15 Apr 06

Bump

Graham ® 19:18 15 Apr 06

I take it you didn't stop it rebooting as my post?

AubreyS 19:21 15 Apr 06

I apologise to you, I should have come back and said that it didn't help.

Thanks for the reply.

ACOLYTE 19:26 15 Apr 06

The PSU/CPU can overheat and force a reboot so can the graffix card or faulty ram.it mat be a bit of corrupt driver code the only way to know is if you stop the reboot as Graham ® said and read the error,if its an over heat/Hardware fault problem you may not get an error at all it just restarts.
Then its a matter of finding out what piece of equipment is at fault by a process elimination.

AubreyS 19:28 15 Apr 06

I'll delve a little deeper into it.As it happens, I have left the PC on all day today and it has not done it once. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice.

johnnyrocker 19:54 15 Apr 06

might be a bit silly but have you checked mains connections are secure?

johnny

AubreyS 23:48 15 Apr 06

Yes johnnyrocker.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…