re-boot from keyboard

zinnie 13:19 23 Sep 04

if the system 'freezes' in an application is there a way to re-boot from the keyboard since the mouse/screen cannot operate.
I am using windows XP.

JonnyTub 13:21 23 Sep 04

press ctrl, alt and delete at the same time to bring up task manager, look for the programme that says "not responding" and then click on end process.

zinnie 13:27 23 Sep 04

thanks JonnyTub but have tried that and it does't work..that is why I want to re-boot directly.

zinnie 13:27 23 Sep 04

thanks JonnyTub but have tried that and it does't work..that is why I want to re-boot directly.

zinnie 13:28 23 Sep 04

JonnyTub 13:30 23 Sep 04

don't think you can from the keyboard if your system freezes, incidentally what programme is freezing your pc?

Also does task manager come up when you press those buttons??

zinnie 14:31 23 Sep 04

thanks again JonnyTub...what 'freezes' is my golf game 'links 2003'..and the system will not respond to anything. Switching off the power and re-starting is the only way I have found to deal with it. I just wondered if there was some 'key commbination' that would cause the system to re-boot. By the way my troubles started when I installed SP2 , along with other things.I un-installed SP2....and this maybe a hangover from then.

JonnyTub 14:39 23 Sep 04

could you restore to beyond the sp2 install? don't know if this works or not as i'm not sure how sp2 integrates itself into windows.

keith-236785 15:13 23 Sep 04

press and hold ALT and tap F4, this brings up the shutdown screen where you can choose restart or shutdown etc.

you may have to do it twice to get it to work, first time for me it shuts down the office shortcut bar, second press of F4 brings up shutdown screen.

only other way is the reset button on your case rather than turning off but that involves getting to the case buttons and not the keyboard as asked for.

once on the shutdown screen, press and hold ALT and press R to restart

good luck, hope it works for you

i have also had a little success using ALT+ESC or CTRL+ESC

try each one untill you find (hopefully) one that works.

keith-236785 15:15 23 Sep 04

oops posted too soon,

i have also had a little success using ALT+ESC or CTRL+ESC should have been followed by

to get out of a frozen screen problem and NOT as a restart option

zinnie 15:43 23 Sep 04

thanks paperman27.....the next time it happens I will try your suggestions.The crazy thing is that I can play the game for hours and it's fine then suddenly 'freeze'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…