Re assigning programs to open graphics

geoff47 00:51 27 Oct 05

I have just Uninstalled Irfanview as I have Photshop.
But can no longer open any photos because they are all assigned to be opened by an uninstalled Program.
How do I change this?
I seem to remember that Ifanview did it automatically...any adice?
Many thanks in advance

DieSse 00:59 27 Oct 05

In XP - right-click on a file - choose *open with* - click *choose program* - select the program you want to use, and tick the box *always open with this program

geoff47 10:15 27 Oct 05

Sorry I am using win 98,
when clicking to open a file I get a notice saying windows cant find I-VIEW32EXE.
I have scatched my head trying to find the solution.... always end up at PC advisor.

Haol 11:04 27 Oct 05

it should be the same if you're using 98, atleast i remember it to be.

keith-236785 11:13 27 Oct 05

open my computer, on the menu bar click tools (might be under view in win98) select folder options, then click "file types" tab

once the list appears, scroll down to a picture file (such as bitmap or gif image) and click on the change button where it says open with....

then select whatever prog you want to open the pictures (windows picture and fax viewer (winXP)) should be something similar in 98.

make sure there is a tick in the "always open with this program) box then click OK

that should be all you need to do (but you might have to do it for all picture files im not sure though.) the error message you get is because it cant find the file I-VIEW32EXE because this was the exe file for irfanview which you have uninstalled. after you change the default viewer you wont get the message again.

good luck

Simsy 12:34 27 Oct 05

the first step is to left click to highlight a file, then HOLD DOWN SHIFT while right clicking...

Then you get the "Open with..." option, and follow DieSse instructions.

Regards,

Simsy

geoff47 23:27 27 Oct 05

Sorry I need more help.....I am using Win98 and when going My Computor/View/Folder options/File Types ....I scroll down to JPG File and see the following options.
New Type....Change Icon
Description of Type.
Asociated Extension.
Content Type (MIME) with a greyed out Default Extension for Content Type

OR Remove which is not really and option at this stage if I want view images?

OR Change Icon
Description Type with an already filled JPG
Content Type (MIME)
Actions....with a prefilled.... Open in a box
Underneath the options
New
Edit
Remove
Default.

So I am lost as to the help given earlier....am I being slow here?
Thanks for your patience
Geoff47

Simsy 00:19 28 Oct 05

by paperman will work, when alll the details are followed in the right order, it's much easier to use the method DieSse indicated.

Have you tried that again, with my advice on how to start the process?

Regards,

Simsy

geoff47 02:48 28 Oct 05

I have in fact used the DieSse method and Simsy's.
I am using Win98 but if you left click on the file you want to open....in any folder...no particular sequence........then right click while holding shift you get the option to choose "Open with"

I had uninstalled Irfanview....as a thinning out exercise....but found when I allocated image opening to Photoshop it took too long to see the thing and Photoshop had to open....taking a lot longer than Irfanview did...so I re installed Irfanview.
Now I cant get a preview of the image as I did before .....I dont want to ask but.....how do I get that back?
Pain in the butt aint I?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…