Re. AM/FM Radio Broadcasts

AngeTheHippy 12:37 11 Nov 07

Hi Chaps,
and ANOTHER questions!! Was thinking of getting me Mother a personal stereo for Crimbo - she's registered Blind and listens A LOT to the Radio. My quandry is this - There are plenty of am/fm personal steros and not too expensive - but if broadcasts are gonna STOP in Analogue in the near future it just isn't worth buying, better going for a DAb (MUCH much more expensive).

So, anyone know when the Analogue broadcasts on Radio end please?

Thanks

AngeTheHippy
xx

wiz-king 13:01 11 Nov 07

No plans at the moment to end FM, if they do you should have at least 5 years notice.

wjrt 13:34 11 Nov 07

click here
should be ok for a while

Karakorum 14:01 11 Nov 07

From the portable viewpoint I hope never, as I believe DAB sets are MUCH heavier on batteries.

Karakorum 14:03 11 Nov 07

By the way, does anyone know if this is a Europe/Worldwide thing or just UK. If so its gonna be pointless taking your portable on holiday eh?

Stuartli 14:03 11 Nov 07

The FM radio services are very unlikely to be brought to an end for some considerable time to come.

Apart from household sets, there are also the many millions in use in cars and other vehicles to consider - there are 32m cars on our road alone and many have ICE systems that are dedicated to particular models or manufacturers.

Karakorum 14:18 11 Nov 07

Cripes, there's only about 15 on our road and I thought THAT was a lot.

AngeTheHippy 15:54 11 Nov 07

I appreciate this. I'll go ahead and order a 'normal' personal stereo for Ma as a Crimbo gift then!!

Thanks again,

xx xx xx xx

driving man 16:04 11 Nov 07

Ange---- consider getting her one with presets to her favourite channels

AngeTheHippy 16:13 11 Nov 07

Thanks. Yeah - will see her Christmas and prob set it up for her then. Mind u, she does tend to 'fiddle' and I can see her losing 'em as soon as I set 'em up... Much like me really, 'fiddling' with the PC... ha hahahahahahaha

xx

Stuartli 19:48 11 Nov 07

Now you know why it takes a long time for even the shortest car journey from our house...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…