re all USBs equal?

Muergo 13:15 01 Sep 10

Given that my PC has all 2.0 USBs, why do some device instructions say "use a port at the rear", what's second class about the ports at the front.

wiz-king 13:21 01 Sep 10

They are not always connected!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:27 01 Sep 10

Rear ports soldered direct to motherboard front often a plug in header.

Rears may also have dedicated bus and can therefore avoid route blocking by other process using the same bus.

Muergo 13:36 01 Sep 10

OK Fruit bat, I think I understand, I mainly use the front for convenience, plugging in and out temporary connections to mobile phone, camera,etc.
But I have just bought a 4port mini hub 2.0 to plug into the back and lead round to the front, so this should be better? or much the same?

DieSse 16:24 01 Sep 10

But I have just bought a 4port mini hub 2.0 to plug into the back and lead round to the front, so this should be better? or much the same?

Unless it's a powered hub, it could be worse. USB sockets only provide around 500mA of power. Without an extra power supply for the hub, that means 500mA to be shared amongst all 4 ports.

Even "in-case" front ports are sometimes 2-port hubs, which ,eans 500mA between two ports.

Rear ports should all be able to supply a full 500mA each.

Some USB devices need the maximum power - such as unpowered disk drives and unpowered scanners.

Muergo 12:07 05 Sep 10

I bought a 4 port hub from Laptone, which has a facility for a 6v input but the guy at laptone did not really know why!! he said "it can make it better" but said it didn't need it.
that's informed customer service for you.

Now thanks to DiEsse I now know precisely what the score is

Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac