Re-Activating Windows XP home.

gill 21:23 30 Dec 03

Hi all, I wonder if anyone knows what the legal position is if someone buys "Win XP Home" and activates it then decides to buy "Win XP Pro" and then wishes to sell the original Win.XP Home?
I understand that the XP Home has now been completely removed from their computer.If they have the right to sell it ,what is the position regarding RE-Activation? Many thanks in advance for your help. Gill

Rennaissance 21:25 30 Dec 03

I don't think reactivation will be a problem. They have rights to do so,if it is totally removed from the previous machine.

mrdsgs 21:43 30 Dec 03

legally

if the xp home is the retail version you can sell it and the buyer can use it and request reactivation from microsoft and there will be no problems.

If the xp home is an oem version it is legally linked to the hardware it was supplied with and therefore technically you should sell the xp home cd and machine together. However, many on-line and auction sites get round this by selling "a piece of hardware" with the oem version (such as an ide cable !!!) Presumably you could do the same and if the hardware you sold came from the original machine you would be within (just) the law but perhaps not the intention of the oem smallprint.

mrdsgs

PA28 21:53 30 Dec 03

There was an interesting article in PCA a couple of months ago, where Microsoft commented on their licencing policies. If I understood it correctly (and I think I did, as I read it through a few times as I didn't believe it the first time), their policy was One Operating System, One Computer. When the computer died, the operating system could not legally be transferred to another machine - a fresh licence was required.

In this case, the only question is whether the computer has died (by having its' OS replaced by another, albeit still from MS) - the original stance that the old OS still cannot be transferred to another machine would appear to hold.

I don't know the answer to this - logic would say that as you own the rights to use the software, then provided it is only installed on one machine then legally that should be OK. After all, that is the case with most software - you can usually use it within the terms of your software licence on more than one machine, provided that single user copies are only installed on a single machine at any one time.

However, that is logical thinking. After reading the article in PCA, I have come to the conclusion that it dangerous to think logically where Microsoft are in the picture. It would be interesting to have an expert view on whether their single user policy constitutes an unfair contract term (and abuse of monopoly position?)

gill 22:25 30 Dec 03

I am still confused. This software is for sale and I was considering buying it but I don't want to spend my money on a piece of software that can't be activated.You may well ask ,why am I bothering to buy "Used" software. Well the answer is that I dont really want Win XP as I am happy with my Win 98 SE. but I want to upgrade my Photoshop 6 to Creative Suite (Photoshop 8) but Adobe ,for reasons known only to themselves have made it to run on Win 2000 or XP.only so I have to upgrade my operating system before I can upgrade Photoshop.Gill

Rennaissance 22:34 30 Dec 03

You should always be able to activate the software, Just in some cases not legally. But seeing your situation it might be legal. Is the one you're trying to purchase OEM or full retail?

gill 22:38 30 Dec 03

The description say's " Full Retail Version"
Gill

Djohn 02:21 31 Dec 03

gill, If the program has been removed from the other PC then it will activate on yours.

Buy the XP with confidence and install to your machine. once you have it installed and settled, connect to the internet and then click on the "activate" Icon. You will then see a message saying, "Activation successful".

If for any reason this does not happen, [Most unlikely] Then phone the number you will see as part of the message. It's an automated system and you just follow the voice instructions and key into your phone set the numbers requested.

An automated response will read back to you a sequence of numbers that you input to your PC and that's it. Your activated.

gill 10:51 31 Dec 03

Thanks everyone for all your input and helpful advice.A happy new Year to you all. Gill

gill 10:51 31 Dec 03

Thanks everyone for all your input and helpful advice.A happy new Year to you all. Gill

PA28 12:35 31 Dec 03

You obviously have more experience in XP than I do - I, like gill, am confused (the old days of 98 were at least simpler!). Exactly how does the new computer know how the system has been removed from the old computer (so that it will activate on the new) as I am not aware of any "deactivation" process that gets MS notified? Sorry to tag this on the end of this thread, but it appears relevant, simply so that we all have a better understanding. Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…