Re-activate Windows XP?

Boy Zone 17:55 04 May 04

I use windows XP home, which I have had on my PC for the last 18 months. When I installed this I activated XP.
I am now getting a message telling me that I have 3 days left to activate windows. It looks like its coming from Microsoft,and asking for my full details plus email address.
Question, do you have to re-activate XP every year or so. I have not added any more hardware, other than software.
How do I know that this request is OK?

€dstowe 17:59 04 May 04

Windows activation does not require any details from you. Even if you have to activate by phone you are not required to give personal details or email address.

Treat this with suspicion unless anyone knows better.

€d

joelmb 18:03 04 May 04

Is this an email message or an OS message? To my knowledge there is no requirement to re-activate XP, certainly not Pro version which I use. I've also never heard of XP activation asking for user details.

So if its an email, its most likely malicious. Other thing it could be is Windows Messenger, (not MSN Messenger but the Messenger which resides within XP itself) characterised by a grey pop up window despite the fact you're not browsing the web. If so you should turn that off as its more a nuisance than of any use.

Djohn 18:16 04 May 04

As above. Microsoft would not e-mail you and ask for personal details. I've had a look on the M/S site and can't find any information regarding the re-activation of XP [Operating system or Office].

Personally I've never heard of this request before and have doubts about it. If it's as joelmb says, a window appearing on your screen, it may be messenger system and to stop this from happening scroll down to the guide for XP Home from this link and turn it off. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac