RD (Rambus) Memory

WiltBoy 15:33 18 Jul 05

Yes, I know its expensive and somewhat outdated but my Dell 8250 uses it. Where can I get hold of RD Memory at a reasonable price - neither Crucial or Kingston stock it anymore. Dell themselves quote in the Region of £460 inc vat and del.

Any suggestions?

Ta in advance.

Tony

dan11 15:44 18 Jul 05

Try ebay click here

Have you checked the motherboard, I think some boards do accept ddr ram as an alternative.

WiltBoy 15:58 18 Jul 05

eBay an excellent suggestion - very possibly the answer. Certainly cheaper than Dell!! Thanks for suggestion :-)

How might I find out if my motherboard might accept DDR Ram?

dan11 16:21 18 Jul 05

I have had a quick google;-) Unfortunately it seems that your motherboard will probably just have 2 X 2 matched pairs of rambus memory sockets. Sorry:-(

I take it you were hoping for a matched pair of 1 gig memory modules, just guessing at those prices. To be honest, for that money, you could upgrade for a lot less.

An option could be, new case, new motherboard, new memory.

Then use, the cpu, hard drive and optical drives.

New case £30?, new motherboard £50?, 2 one gig sticks of pc3200 £155.

Just a thought;-)

WiltBoy 17:54 18 Jul 05

Another brilliant suggestion, thank you :-)

I have had a quick google;-) Unfortunately it seems that your motherboard will probably just have 2 X 2 matched pairs of rambus memory sockets.

Sorry:-(

I take it you were hoping for a matched pair of 1 gig memory modules, just guessing at those prices. To be honest, for that money, you could upgrade for a lot less.

An option could be, new case, new motherboard, new memory.

Then use, the cpu, hard drive and optical drives.

New case £30?, new motherboard £50?, 2 one gig sticks of pc3200 £155.

Just a thought;-)

WiltBoy 22:05 18 Jul 05

Well, it appears the least complicated short term option was eBay - never used it before, really! And that is the option I have taken, I think successfully. However, dan11 that was a brilliant suggestion and I have not given up on that idea for the medium term - seems like a good option to further expand my system pending the release of Longhorn (or whatever it is called) and those twin processor thingamajigs! My system, driven by steam-power is needing an overhaul before that eventuality.

A sincere thank you to your both for your most informed and constructive help. Glad I found this message board.

You both take good care, and thanks again.

Tony ?

dan11 22:37 18 Jul 05

You are most welcome and as they say, please call again.:-)))

I hope that things work out well for both your system and yourself.

regards

dan11

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017