RB3.tmp? What is it??!!

catman2000 20:00 09 Aug 06

Hi,
each time i turn on my PC, my recycle bin has thew above file, or one like it, i.e. RB5.tmp, RB1D.tmp etc and i have no idea what it is or where it comes from.

If anyone can throw any light on this, i'd appreciate it.

Regards

John

Jak_1 20:09 09 Aug 06

Try opening the file!

catman2000 20:38 09 Aug 06

Have tried! nothing happens, comes up with a message telling me the file cannot be opened....HELP!

Jak_1 20:46 09 Aug 06

They are malware files. The reason they keep returning is because they are prob in the sys restore files. Sugest dissableing sys restore and run AdAware, Ewido, Spybot or other antispyware progs from safe mode.

click here

DieSse 21:54 09 Aug 06

They're almost certainly Hotbar malware files. As suggested above, use Adaware and Spybot to remove them.

If they are in the Restore folder, they will not reaffect you unless you do a system restore. So you don't really need to do anything about that unless you feel comfortable doing so. Eventually they will get removed as new restore points are created.

catman2000 21:36 11 Aug 06

Thanks for the advice. I've run spybot but they seem to keep reappearing!!! I'll disable sys restore and try again...fingers crossed!!!

Thanks again!

s1m0n75 19:12 21 Apr 07

I have had exactly the same problem with this annoying "rb3.tmp" file in the recycle bin. On reboot it changes to "rb5.tmp" ect. I have tried the above suggestions with "Spybot Search and Destroy", and "adaware se proffesional" to no avail. This really is an irritating problem. If this is malware, it went straight past my Virgin Media "pc guard" antivirus/anti spyware/firewall program. So im not impressed with that program much. Can anyone suggest any other removal methods for this problem? I would also like to know what this malware problem actually does, and is it a danger to my operating system, or computer in general. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

s1m0n75 20:47 29 May 07

I have done a lot of research on this problem since, and i now fully understand this problem. These temp files are put in the recycle bin by one program only - Pc Guard! (the virgin media freebie virus checker) They are harmless but very annoying. I confirmed this by uninstalling Pc Guard, and the problem went away. I have since installed a much better anti-virus program and everything is cool!

QuickFox 03:32 25 Sep 07

Catman2000
Did you ever find out what the problem is? I have the same problem and am at a loss. I assume its some kind of malware....but what...and what does it do besides filling up the recycling bin?
QuickFox

QuickFox 13:45 25 Sep 07

Hi s1m0n75
You note that your use of the Pc Guard AV pgm put the tmp files in the Recycle Bin. I've never used PC Guard and I have the problem, so the source must be something else. Do you have any more info on this?
QuickFox

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…