Rattly graphics card fan.

Lú-tzé 14:55 10 Jan 03
  Lú-tzé 14:55 10 Jan 03

The fan on my graphics card has started to make a noise now - hard to describe it, but it sounds like a rattle. Is it simply a matter of taking it off and replacing it with a similar one from the likes of maplins, or is there more to it that that?

The card is an oem nvidia geforce mx400 - not identifying lables on it anywhere.

I have installed dvd roms, HDDs, pci cards etc. but taking apart a component is a different matter - any suggestions gratefully appreciated.

vinnyT 15:17 10 Jan 03

You could try taking the fan off and applying a small amount of lubricant, this may cure the rattle. Otherwise yes it's just a matter of buying and fitting a new fan, cverclockersUK do the Zalman ZM17CU VGA Chipset Cooler (SY-000-ZA) and Zalman ZM80-HP Silent Heat pipe VGA cooler (SY-003-ZA) on this page at the bottom;

click here

Lú-tzé 16:51 10 Jan 03

vinnyT - thanks for that. I will have a look at the fan and see what I can do. Otherwise a trip to Maplins / computer fair tomorrow is on the cards.

vinnyT 11:43 11 Jan 03

your welcome

Lú-tzé 16:26 11 Jan 03

Maplins did the trick this morning and I have a nice quiet pc now. Amazing how the sound gradually gets louder - I forgot what it was like new.

vinnyT 11:46 12 Jan 03

Glad you got it sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced