Ransomware threat - recent report

jonem81 17 Nov 12

Ransomware Threat. Is ther a way to avoid this? jonem81

Diemmess 17 Nov 12

jonem81 is asking how to avoid rather than remove....... Isn't he?

If so then good anti virus and firewall with both up to date should work.

jonem81 17 Nov 12

Jock1e Thanks for your reply.

Diemmess

Thank you also ,Diemmess .

Woolwell 17 Nov 12

To help avoid, don't go to dodgy sites and be very careful on what you click on and download.

jonem81 17 Nov 12

Woolwell Thanks for your reply. jonem81

Diemmess 17 Nov 12

It is only too easy with the best intentions to download something nasty.

Only yesterday I was sent some text to be poshed up for an advert in our village magazine. I don't know what software was used, (the garage is better at cars than it is with computers), but the file had a subscript of .aww

Windows couldn't find anything to open this weird file, but Google search led me to Speedyfix While trying to install, this brought a rash of objections from the Firewall. I persisted briefly and was soon convinced that this Speedyfix was Malware. I couldn't stop whatever was trying to take over.

So perhaps I overreacted, but with a disobedient computer, I shut down and rebooted from the CD to restore a recent copy of (C:)Acronis. All's well again, the only overhead was 40 mins restoring and CClean-ing then updating Windows with the Wednesday security lump.

Diemmess 19 Nov 12

Thanks Marg7

After a presumed brush with malware I went the longer way round and simply copied with two fingers the small amount of text from a PDF I had already been given.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Why Formula-e needs to go faster

How Instagram spots trends

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message