RANKING MY WEBSITE

mobsby 17:35 05 Jan 06

Hi all
would u be able to help me improve where my webpage stands on a search engine?

i welcome all sugestions.

Thanks
Mobsby

ade.h 17:40 05 Jan 06

Links and more links!

The more sites that have links to yours, the better.

If it's a business, then make use of business directories and the sites of any membership groups that you may belong to.

ade.h 17:41 05 Jan 06

The are other things as well, such as changing content, keywords and so on.

ade.h 20:20 05 Jan 06

Couple more tips:

A Flash-based homepage with no text on it is out, unless the site is already well established, not least through other means such as links.

Avoid frames. Search results return parts of pages without the frames, according to what I have been advised on this forum.

djinn 11:30 06 Jan 06

Also worth trying click here

HTH

Cheers

genuinefake 14:12 06 Jan 06

using header tags <h> help as its easier for search engines to index your pages.

Taran 15:34 06 Jan 06

In brief, because this is such a vast topic it is impossible to boil it down to just a couple of points:

1. Use lower case file names with no spaces and make them relevant (contact_us.html means more than Page6.html)

2. Use relevant page titles in the <title></title> tags.

3. Use relevant keywords to describe the site in its metatags.

4. Link out to similar or supporting sites with the owners’ permission and have theirs link to yours.

5. Use good Alt tags for images

6. Avoid Flash or loads of JavaScript

7. Submit your site to all the major search engines

(here are the two most important points for any small business type site)

8. Include your site domain name on EVERY bit of stationary and literature you hand out (receipts, compliment slips, letterheads, invoices etc)

9. Be realistic in your expectations.

If you run a site on the Buffy then expect a ton of competition.

If you run a site dedicated to the benefits of liquid nitrogen sub-zero quenching Sandvik 12C27 stainless steel expect a comparatively smaller level of interest.

Page one in Google is all well and good but you are unlikely to ever get there without a lot of careful preparation and some seriously hard ongoing work. This still shouldn’t stop you from having a popular website though.

Taran 17:47 06 Jan 06

Certainly.

Google may be the biggest but it most certainly is not the only major search engine and a great many people (myself included) use alternative engines for a variety of reasons that do not need to be discussed here.

Several of the alternative engines index sites in an entirely different way to Google, hence point 7 in my list.

Perhaps I should have added the reasoning behind it.

Put it this way, Google claims you don't need to submit your sites to it. Fair enough. I've never noticed it doing any harm with them and if you choose to submit a domain to them though.

In fact, if you take my "Submit your site to all the major search engines" comment this is based largely on the fact that it IS necessary for several other engines, not all of whom rely on the mighty Google.

I've been getting a bit vexed with Google for about the last couple of years, but this past 8 months or so searching has become more difficult due to the sheer volume of irrelevant returns Google sometimes gives you.

Some other engines are very different and that is just one of several reasons why I use them.

Google may be the biggest, but AlatVista, Yahoo and several others have a pretty vast userbase and as such they deserve some attention and respect. Higher rankings in them can also assist in higher rankings with Google...

I hope that makes things a little clearer - knowing me I've probably just raised several dozen more questions though...

;o)

ade.h 19:04 06 Jan 06

I'm inclined to agree with the above points about submissions. I tend to make sure to cover all the search engines, major and less so, and their methods do seem to differ. Generally, if a site encourages submission, then I will do so as you can't lose out.

I also like John's earlier point about paying webdesigners or other third parties to do submissions. Do it yourself for those sites that warrant it; you know it's been done and you can probably ignore Google and any others that don't benefit from submissions.

Taran - regarding your 3rd point, about keywords in metatags; I habitually do this at the moment if only because it's a very quick and simple task in NOF. But is it of any real advantage to search engines? Opinion seems to be mixed on this subject and I was wondering what you thought about it.

ade.h 19:30 06 Jan 06

Quite right, John.

I do not like rip-offs and companies who knowingly take advantage of others' lack of knowledge.

Just as well that you came here, Mobsby!

Taran 19:36 06 Jan 06

SEO is a reality - up to a point - it is being misused at present to art a lot of unwary people from a great deal of cash though.

There are ways of climbing the search engine ladder a lot faster than the methods discussed above.

Not all are easy, many carry a cost penalty and it's a minefield of little use to most of us mere mortals.

I'd agree abut a strategy of Google first and the rest later but you might be surprised at how much influence other engine rankings can have on Google.

The trouble is that everyone wants to be number one (I have several client sites at that very spot in Google right now) but not too many peole appreciate the work involved, which goes way, way beyond metatags, keywords, well formed documents and so on.

For most small businesses point 8 in my list will make or break their site.

ade.h - I like metatags too and they can help although they aren't essential in rankings these days. I use them because I got into the habit years ago when they literally meant all the difference. I still use them now, along with Alt tags and a bunch of other thinigs that I consider good design practice. Some say they aren't worth the time and effort - that's their opinion and they're welcome to it. I'll continue using metatags for some time to come though.

Maybe they aren't absolutely necessary these days but I've yet to see them do any serious harm and I prefer to keep good habits going than let them fall by the wayside. Having said that, if you go seriously overboard with your metatags they can get you a one way ticket to being ignored completely by some search engines.

It's all relative - some sites are incredibly successful (almost inexplicably so) with little or no promotion while others require a high spend to list high in the search engines.

Keeping a realistic perspective helps. I don't give a hoot that dozens of IT firms feature higher on a Google search than my site does for the same services I offer. I have no shortage of work and although I get a great deal of it through the web most of it is through that most old fashioned advertising vehicle - word of mouth.

And you can't put a price on that, can you ?

T

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now