Random Shutdowns

ened 17:50 09 Feb 11

I don't seem to have solved my problem with a new build.

I have eradicated a faulty memory; unless both modules are faulty.

The spec is as follows:
Seagate 500GB Momentus XT 2.5" Hybrid SSD
Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H H55
CT2KIT51264BA1339 8GB Kit (4GBx2), 240-pin DIMM
Antec TruePower New 650W Modular PSU
Seagate ST31000528AS 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache + 3 other Hard Drives

When it crashes it simply turns off and reboots. There is no common task that I am performing at the time.

It has crashed as follows:
31/12
25/01
27/01 : Screensaver froze and the only remedy was a switch-off.
01/02
09/02.

Event viewer shows no errors except:
8194 VSS (67 in the past month)
Various problems due to unexpected shutdown BUT none immediately prior to any of the shutdowns.

There is an error recorded involving NVidea (Some weeks ago) and I am wondering if it could be a graphics issue. When I first built the machine I could not get it to take the driver. I reinstalled Vista and installed the driver before SPs 1&2 and it installed okay.

The only clue I have is the frozen screen and am thinking of buying an ATI card.

Any other ideas will be gratefully received.

RobCharles1981 18:18 09 Feb 11

It may be a long shot but have tried using another PSU that Antec doesn't seem very good, you should try changing to another well known brand i.e Corsair.

Bris 18:41 09 Feb 11

The fact that your motherboard has an H55 chipset suggests that you have either an I3 or I5 processor that have an onboard graphics chip supported by the motherboard. Have you thought of using this and removing your Nvidea graphics card to see if that makes any difference?

961 18:48 09 Feb 11

If you type error 8194 vss into google you'll get a host of forum suggestions

Here's one to start you off

click here

ened 06:50 10 Feb 11

I have removed the card and will now have to wait a few weeks to see if that was the problem.

If it happens again I shall try a different PSU.

961 Thanks for the link - whilst I obviously have an issue with VSS, which I need to sort out, I don't think that is what is causing my unexpected shutdown problem.

ened 16:59 20 Feb 11

I took out the graphics card and the next day I got the BSOD. I never had even one of those with XP and this is the first with Vista.

I revisited the memory and discovered one of the modules was indeed faulty.

However I now have another issue and would be grateful for any suggestions:

click here

Thanks for all the advice on this one and I'm sorry I mislead over the memory issue.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…