Random shut downs

Josquius 19:21 24 Sep 04

Whilst on games my computer has recently started to randomly restart itself.
A error comes up so its someting in windows and not a loose wire as I originally thought.
The error report says these files are involved-
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini092404-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Craig\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER3.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml

That one in temp- temp isn't critical is it? Could this be some form of virus?
If not how do I fix whatever it is?

Noelg23 19:24 24 Sep 04

you can delete stuff in the temp directory...but if your getting random shtudowns especially after isntalling a game then uninstall the game...what game is it by the way?

stonerose 19:51 24 Sep 04

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

HELP!

This is a response I've started getting increasingly. The PC shuts down and reboots or now doesn't even get that far.

It gives this.

***STOP:0x0000000A (0x88550394, 0x00000007, 0x00000000, 0x805329DD)

A friend of mine used to use partition magic with WIN 98 on my PC to run Boot Magic so I could run seperate installations of drivers (for a sound card). However, we fell out and now I have a better card that doesn't require seperate drivers, but I dont think I've ever got rid of this relic, despite trying as I no longer boot with bootmagic.
1 thing I notice is that my 60Gig HD is only ever recognised as 55 and my 120Gig HD is about the same amount down. Could it be that there is a hidded load of win98/boot magic/partition magic/ghost files that I just want removed.
I am a little bit scared to rumage around, is there a safe way I can start afresh, like re-installing everything and wiping my HD's clean (after saving all my music and word files of course)?
P.S. I have XP pro, office 2003 and run Cubase SX2 for music.

Dan the Confused 20:48 24 Sep 04

Could be a prob with your hard drive, try running a diagnostic prog on it such as HD Tune click here

Josquius 21:26 24 Sep 04

It was happening since before I installed a new game with a old game. The new game has nothing to do with it I don't think.
So the temp directory is safe to totally cleanse? (thats just where zip stuff and install files et all go right?)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…