Random scrolling and jerking about!! ( XP..SP2)

Ellaine 15:30 22 Dec 04

I'm using XP with SP2 , AMD Athlon XP 2800+ and have done no modifications. For a month or so, I have been experiencing uncontrolled scrolling in any box with a scroll bar.I have tried different browsers, online scans and all sorts of spyware, virus and trojan searches. I had suspected it was being done by a remote hacker, untill just recently I found that disconnection from (Broadband) Phone line made no difference. The same problem remains unanswered for another forum user as follows:

" armst74 Fri, 11.06.04 | 23:11
Please help me before i go mad
My browser constantly flicks up and down even when offline. Also when viewing photos in paint shop pro thit zoomn in and out. I have scaned with norton + ave, run ad aware + spy bot but no good any help will be much appreciated."

I have checked mouse settings and all drivers are current.
If an answer is not available here..Where do I go next?
This is really annoying!!!

ashdav 18:48 22 Dec 04

sounds like you've got a dodgy mouse. Is it a cordless one? They can be prone to random signals. Try borrowing another one to try. At least this will eliminate one source of the problem if nothing else.

Ellaine 19:57 22 Dec 04

cable Logitech wheel mouse..all clean and update software.
Tried "sfc /scannow" on XP Disc..No joy :(

efforts apreciated :) thanks

JoeC 20:03 22 Dec 04

Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive.
Insert WinXP CD, restart computer.

When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console at this time.

In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup

Ellaine 21:21 22 Dec 04

I've not done this before...so could someone tell me how to set up to start from CD-Rom drive....?

Please :)

JoeC 21:25 22 Dec 04

when computer starting up. Can be by pressing Delete button but you should see something as the computer boots up - like " Press Delete to enter setup ". Once in there, select first boot as CDrom, second boot as Ide and third boot as floppy. Save and exit. When computer restarts it should look for the CD in the tray.

JoeC 21:30 22 Dec 04

"Once in there" = BiOs Features Setup.

Ellaine 13:50 07 Feb 05

Sorry it's been a long time been away...I bought a new scroll mouse and BINGO...job done ..all back under control.
Thank you all for your efforts.XX

wee eddie 13:55 07 Feb 05

I have tried many solutions offered here but it recurrs occasionally.

I think it is caused by a hair or dust ball in the pathway of the optics of the mouse.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…