Random Restarting.... Win 98

Tormentus 20:08 13 Dec 03

I'm running a win 98 based desktop and I recently put a new HDD into it as a slave. Since when the machine has been randomly restarting, or occasionally it will just seem to die (Nothing happens allthough both the power and HDD lights stay on).

Both HDD work without the other one its only when i have them both together i get these problems.

Any ideas what it could be?

oglemire 21:19 13 Dec 03

if i was you I would remove the second hard drive just to see if this is the cause... could be a red herring.. :) if all is well with the drive gone you should consult your mb vendor for a bios upgrade. when u fitted the drive did you remove the heatsink? sometimes especially with the new p4 sink and fan they can hinder placing the drive into its caddy ? if you did i recomend that you apply some heat sink compound.

Tormentus 21:29 13 Dec 03

Its an athlon anyway.
I've tried it with just the one HDD and it still does the same, no matter which HDD is intalled, the new or old one.

Could it possibly be over heating? Or maybe the PSU isn't powerful enough, its 300w at the mo.
Doesn't seem logical tho, seeing as it does it with only one HDD in.

Any more ideas?

ace121pk 21:39 13 Dec 03

probably the motherboard chipset, upgrade the chipset drivers

Tormentus 21:45 13 Dec 03

Thanks. But why would installing a new HDD require a driver update? My machine used to have 2 HDD before and didnt require it. Why would it now?

Gaz 25 01:02 14 Dec 03

because manufacturers update and improve reliability etc of the firmware.

Tormentus 10:11 14 Dec 03

But there wasn't a problem with reliability before with two HDD, just now.
I tried it anyway, i got a message saying it doesn't need to be updated.

Because that didn't work I tried a few things.

I reset the registry to a few days ago, this seems to of helped. After doing that i was using the machine for around an hour before it did the same thing. I also disconnected a CDROM drive i hardly ever use (still left it in the case, just took the power and ide cables out), which seemed to help. I'm starting to think it might be a problem with the PSU or Overheating, unless someone else has any ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…