Random rebooting

tamc98 14:41 05 Apr 07

Hello All.

In an attempt to save money on a new computer I recently decided to upgrade my existing one. It is not the newest or fastest by any means but has served me well.
I was running an Athlon Xp1800 which I upgraded to a Sempron 2800. No problems here.
I then decided to take advantage of the increased fsb of the new processor and got a 1Gb stick of PC2700 memory to replace the 2 X 512Mb PC2100 sticks I have already.
On first installation of the new memory all was well. Computer booted staight up and ran as sweet as... Then after an hour or so it just rebooted. Thinking this was just a one off I decided to continue until 30 min' later it happened again.
This continued until the machine would no longer boot into XP. It would just get as far as the windows logo screen then either reboot or bring up the safe mode menu. It would boot into safe mode but show nothing wrong (that I could see).
As the only change had been the memory I put back my old PC2100 and tried again. BINGO! we have windows. Not for long though. The same rebooting fault came back.
I booted into safe mode(with networking) and popped on the net for some ideas. Faulty graphics cards seam to be favourite for this kind of thing so I removed my Radeon 9100 and used the onboard instead.
Machine now runs perfectly. until I try the new memory again. Same as before, windows will boot and then at some point with no warning it will just reboot (try to).
No matter what I do I cannot get my Radeon to work, machine will not boot with it installed and my new memory will not work.

Any usefull suggestions gratefully received.

TIA, Tony.

P.S. System details: Winfast (Foxconn)K7S741GXMG mobo, Sempron 2800, Win XP Pro SP2 and 2X 512Mb generic PC2100.

New memory was from Ebay shop (fastmemoryman).

ArrGee 14:50 05 Apr 07

I'm not overly 'hardware-aware', but are the old and new memory sticks the same MHz?

johndrew 14:53 05 Apr 07

The reboot is present even with your old memory in place which suggests something with the only other item replaced - the CPU.

As a further check you could run Everest Home click here and see whether there are any high temperatures or other anomalies. The only other suggestion I could make would be whether your PSU was up to the job.

Cheap memory can be a false economy. I would suggest you run MemTest86 click here or click here but your PC may reboot before the test runs long enough.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…