Random Rebooting

m25man 11:26 18 Apr 06

My mother-in-law (no jokes please, she's really nice!) is in her 80s and has been on the internet for several years via dial-up. No problems. Last week she decided to go for ADSL broadband. The modem arrived, so I installed the software, connected the ADSL modem (simple USB plug into the back of the computer) and managed to get connected fine. However, since then the PC keeps randomly rebooting, sometimes rebooting before fully completing startup, sometimes booting up successfully and running for quite sometime, and then suddenly the screen goes black and the PC starts a boot from scratch (with disk check because windows was not closed down properly - no problems shown). The PC is about six years old and runs on Windows 98.
Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks very much

woodchip 11:29 18 Apr 06

Have you tried reloading the Win98 CD over it's self. You can do this by First disable Anti-Virus Software and then put the WinCD in comp and run setup

woodchip 11:31 18 Apr 06

PS you could try first. Put the WinCD in, Stop it auto starting, go to run and type SFC run the program to look for corrupt files

m25man 16:04 18 Apr 06

Thanks woodchip, I will give it a go. I suppose I was thinking it was more likely to be a hardware problem....

m25man 10:51 20 Apr 06

Postscript - a friend recommended checking the BIOS. On doing this I found a setting 'halt on error' checked. Don't know why, but undoing this seems to have cured the problem.
Woodchip - thanks for your thoughts anyway!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now